Chapter 20

[Sorry for the wait, I swear I haven't given up on the story, I've just had a lot to deal with these last few months. Anyway, I will be making slight adjustments to the story, nothing major so you won't have to reread anything, it's just to make the story flow better.]

Alternating between attacking with her weapon and blasting bolts of lightning had become much easier now that she was in the zone. Laser-focused on the clearly unnatural pack of wolves that manifested, she mutilated their bodies, tearing through them easily. One lunged at her throat but was skewered by Durandal.

"Roland!" A smile formed on her face at his appearance, though when the soldier suddenly herded the trio against the wall, surprise lit up her face.

"Miss Y/n, it's good to see you again!"

"Yes, yes, everyone loves her, thank you for saving her, etc, etc... What are you doing here and must you press yourself up against her like this?" Vanitas asked, scowl deepening at the proximity between the vampire and Chasseur.

"Oh, please excuse me!" The blond moved away and pointed to the sky where Chasseur airships drifted, "you would have been seen otherwise and that would certainly complicate things."

"I'm thankful for your arrival, you showed up right on time... as much as it wounds my pride to admit." The woman confessed.

Roland eyed her for a moment. When he arrived on the scene he was able to get a glimpse of her butchering the dreaded animals but he took notice of a few things, such as the blood staining her clothes and that she seemed slower. It wasn't by much, just a fraction, but it was still noticeable from where he was standing. Had she gotten hurt? But what about her regenerative abilities, weren't they functioning? Roland wasn't able to see any gaping injuries, thankfully, but there was something deeply wrong and he could tell just by looking at her. Y/n seemed far more hesitant and worried. He would even go as far as to say she seemed downright terrified.

The Chasseur resumed speaking of his journey when Vanitas stepped in front of Y/n, shielding her from his gaze, "It was quite a shock. We were caught in a blizzard on the way to Saugues. The mountains began to crumble and wolves attacked. The Beast of Gévaudan must be behind all this."

Noé tensed and locked eyes with the doctor as if they were sharing a silent conversation. A question hung heavily in the air.

Was Roland also after the Beast?

The blond man looked as cheerful as ever as he wrapped his arms around the two men and smiled at the woman in front of him, "So what's the plan? If the three of you are here, there must be a curse-bearing vampire at the centre of all this. What can I do to affect a more peaceful resolution?"

"You wish to help us? But why?"

"How could you ask that?" The Chasseur appeared genuinely baffled at the question, "I want to help because I like you guys."

"Me too!" Noé's eyes shone brightly at the earnestness displayed by Roland, "I'm quite fond of you, too!"

"Fondness?" She muttered. Her eyes naturally landed on Vanitas' face, his less-than-pleased expression couldn't obscure his beauty.

"If you want to help, don't let the people of Gévaudan die, Roland. Fulfilling her duty as a D'Apchier gives meaning to Chloé's life. If she were to lose control and kill even one of the denizens of this region, there would be no saving her. And even if we did save her, there would be no salvation for her soul," Explained the doctor, "Can you do that?"

"Leave it to me. However, I am here as a paladin of the Chasseurs. If the situation gets much worse, I will not hesitate to start beheading vampires. Don't force me to slay the Beast."