chapter 5 (edited)

"The clan of the Blue Moon!" A vampire yelled. Looking around, they were surrounded.

"Was it you who turned them into curse-bearers?!"

"Kill him! Kill the human!" They chanted. Immediately after, two vampires lunged at him but Y/n knocked them out and stepped in front of Vanitas protectively.

"Why are you protecting him?!" They jeered at her actions.

"Hm? I wonder... Maybe it's because I'm tired of hiding from you assholes." Her eyes mimicked the glow of the Blue Moon as a low growl emitted from her throat.

"There's two of them!"

"Kill them!"

Noé, Dominique, Vanitas and her quickly knocked them all unconscious, whether by clawing, stabbing, using the grimoire, punching it kicking them away, they came out victorious with no further injuries.

"You have to go now. From what I could tell, there are only two curse-bearers left. Go now!" Dominique ordered.

The three of them rushed towards the grand hall and as they approached, a woman let out a horrified scream.

Bursting through the giant double doors, they witnessed a young and far too corrupted girl draining her mother of any blood she had. The woman's already pale skin lost whatever colour it had left as the life was drained from her.

"It's too late to save her, isn't it?" Y/n asked.

Vanitas gave a silent nod but Noé just couldn't accept that he couldn't save her.

The girl looked at Vanitas with tears in her eyes, "kill...me... Kill me before I murder my little sister, too." She begged.

Vanitas walked towards her, ignoring Noé's protests.

"Vanitas, please, wait! Vanitas!"

The white-haired vampire tried to follow him but Y/n quickly stopped him, grabbing his shoulder and shaking her head slightly in protest, "Stay out of his way."

Vanitas peered over his shoulder at the woman in silent thanks before continuing. His eyes were void of emotion, he almost looked like a different person with that expression.

"I see, so that's your true name." He uttered.

"No!" Noé, once again, tried to get in the way so Y/n used one of her abilities to stop him. Hemokinesis, the ability to manipulate blood, an ability she loathed using but was, by far, the quickest way to control a person's body. She winced and knew she wouldn't be able to keep this ability active for much longer, even so, Noé couldn't be allowed to interfere.

"It suits you well." Vanitas complimented before turning the girl to ash. Once it was over, Y/n released Noé from her hold over his blood and let him grab the shorter male while she leaned against the wall. Exhaustion washed over her.

"Why?!" Noé's voice seemed so far away to her.

"Huh? What's got your knickers in a knot? I've said it from the start, haven't I? It matters not what you people want! I will save the vampires."

"I don't understand, Vanitas, what is salvation?" The vampire's voice was filled with nothing but desperation as he gazed at the ashes of the child.

"As if I would know. Make of it what you will."

Y/n's head pounded, it felt as if it could explode any second, "As much as I adore listening to you two argue, we have more pressing matters at hand. There's still one more curse-bearer left." She reminded.

Noé, begrudgingly, let Vanitas go and apologised. Meanwhile, Vanitas just kept quiet and walked away, leaving the two to catch up.

The blue-eyed boy was only about three meters in front of them and he was still attacked before she or Noé could do anything.