Chapter 22

Vanitas sighed in disappointment as he stared at the floor. It had been an hour and Y/n still hadn't arrived. Had she decided to ditch him last minute? Or maybe, she had been playing him all along?

"How could I have been so stupid?" Of course, she was messing with him. She had called his infatuation with Jeanne idiotic, what would make her take back her words suddenly? Sure she was more friendly and affectionate towards him, but had he truly believed she could love someone like him? Perhaps it had been a twisted fantasy his heart concocted, but he was hoping that their shared passions and similar personalities made them a perfect match. He wasn't one to believe in soulmates, but if they did in fact exist, he desperately wanted his to be her. He thought she understood him. He really was a helpless fool.

Vanitas stood up, throwing away the vibrant bouquet and began walking back to the hotel, he just hoped Y/n wouldn't tease him about this too much. His heart constricted painfully at the thought of her cruel joke. When had he allowed himself to become so attached?

Attached. Was that the right word to describe his feelings? It felt like it ran deeper than that. She had seemed so genuinely excited about their outing, was this her sick idea of making a point? Vanitas found himself spiralling before remembering something Noé had told him the night prior. Y/n was nervous, this would have been her first date. Noé accidentally blabbed, something that only made Vanitas want to do better on the date, he swore he'd be the perfect gentleman and make it so that no one could ever compete with him.

But why was he so invested?

Because it was her first date. Obviously.

Or, at least, that's what he had been telling himself.

He reached for the hotel door only for Noé to slam into him.

"What in the devil is wrong with you?!" The doctor cursed under his breath as he rubbed his nose.

"Vanitas—"

"No! Save your excuses. I'm tired and I'm returning to my room."

"But Vani—"

"Oh and if you're going out, don't hinder me by getting yourself in trouble."

"Vanitas!"

"What?!"

Noé opened and closed his mouth a few times, mulling over what to say but being unable to let the words flow. Instead, he handed him crinkled paper.

Vanitas gazed at Noé for a second, bottling the urge to shove past him and snatched up what appeared to be a letter. Addressed to Y/n. From her father. And then reality dawned on the doctor's face, his hands shook as he reread the letter over and over until the words stopped making sense.

"Y/n went home." The vampire's voice was soft yet Vanitas still flinched at the word 'home'.

"She wouldn't," he began.

"Vanitas, she's gone back."

"Y/n would never return to that wretched place! She would rather die!" She would never return to a place that made her feel unappreciated and unwanted.

'But isn't that what you've been doing?' A voice in his head asked, 'You took her for granted thinking she'd always be there for you. Did you really think she would stay with someone as pathetic as you?'

'You're wrong.'

'Am I? Face it, Y/n deserves someone far better than you. She deserves someone like Noé or Jeanne. You can't compete.'

'That may be, but still...' Vanitas couldn't simply hand her off to someone else. He knows he's unworthy but he's a selfish man. If he had to watch the world burn to cinders, if he had to be the one to light that match... if he had to die, he would. Without a second thought, without the slightest hesitation. If it meant she would be safe, if it meant she could be free from the chains that bind her, if she could smile genuinely without worrying that something could devour her happiness, he'd sacrifice everything.