chapter 13

You, Vanitas and Noé we're riding on a wagon with two dhampirs, one being Dante and the other being Johann.

Noé gasped, "there's a village! Is it Saugues? It's so beautiful! It somehow reminds me of Averoigne."

"Hey, Noé? Why have you been so chipper since we boarded this wagon?" Vanitas asked while shivering.

"Me? Why do you look like you're on death's door?"

"I'm freezing!"

"Hmph, that's just sad," Said Dante.

"Shut it. Unlike you people, I am a highly sensitive individual." Hearing that, you sat closer to Vanitas, removing your cloak and throwing it over him.

"Y/n-"

You cut him off, "Don't worry about it, I'm not nearly as fragile as you."

"Are you trying to pick a fight?"

Ignoring him, you pulled Vanitas closer to you, which, despite the look of surprise, he seemed to appreciate given the small smile plastered on his face as he nuzzled closer.

"Get a room." Dante joked.

"Why are you information peddlers here anyway?" You asked.

"Who cares? It's no skin off your back." He retorted.

"Dante, was it? I don't take well to being kept in the dark." You informed while admiring your sharp claws, "do you understand?"

He gave you a very obvious fake smile, pausing before answering, "we just want to collect information we can sell."

"Precisely!" Johann finally chimed in.

You dropped the subject, focusing instead on Vanitas' steady heartbeat. For some reason, it soothed you and you gradually felt yourself unwind.

The boy cradled in your arms then said in a hushed voice, "they are no doubt here to gather information, but it's likely that they also have ulterior motives. We'll stow our things at the inn then head to where the bodies were found. I want to look for signs of the Beast before dark." He concluded.

Noé nodded with a serious look.

***********

Walking through the forest, Vanitas recited the story of the Beast of Gévaudan.

"Here in Gévaudan in the 18th century, the Beast brutally ripped over one hundred women and children to shreds. Its large maw was twisted and its ears were pointed. It has sharp claws and a body covered in red fur. It is said to have resembled an enormous wolf."

"Is there really such a beast in the Silver Forest?" Noé asked.

"It's not just the Beast."

"What?"

"A witch of tremendous power is said to dwell here."

"A witch? Vanitas, you believe the Beast of Gévaudan may be a curse-bearing vampire, don't you?"

"So the legends say."

"Then I imagine the curse-bearer and the witch must be connected somehow."

"Who knows? All I can say is that there may be a curse-bearer and that's why I am here."

There was a rustle in the trees, Dante hid behind Johann and stuttered out, "W-what was that creepy noise?"

"Oh, scared of a bird Dante?" You asked with a provoking grin.