Chapter 21

It had been a few days since their trip to Gévaudan and while Noé slept in once again, Vanitas and Y/n were getting ready to go on their date.

Y/n got to witness him running around frantically and whispering conspiratorially with Amelia. She chuckled as she walked into her room only to hear Vanitas scream before knocking at her door.

"Yes?" Her voice was light as she suppressed the nervous laughter tickling her throat.

"So, it's nothing serious but there's been a slight change in plans. Meet me at the Maritime Navigation Fountain?"

"Sure."

"Great! See you there!"

Vanitas raced outside like a madman, he wanted today to be perfect. After everything that's happened, Y/n deserved to relax. He wasn't someone who usually makes romantic gestures so Vanitas was a little overwhelmed, not knowing if what he had planned was good enough. He sauntered inside a cute little store to speak to a florist. He'd noticed that Y/n had been eyeing some of the beautiful flowers and wanted to get her a bouquet, so when he heard that the one he had paid for was never delivered, he panicked.

In front of him stood a line of four other people, all waiting for their flower arrangements. He tapped his foot against the tiled floor restlessly, feeling as if time had stilled. He glanced at the clock on the wall every few seconds. He was going to be late, that was never a good thing. Should he leave without the flowers? Vanitas shook his head, he knew she would appreciate them.

Meanwhile, Y/n was almost out the door when Amelia called out to her as she waved a letter in the air, "Sorry, I know you and the doctor have a busy day ahead but this arrived for you just a few moments ago."

A letter? Y/n's e/c eyes narrowed in suspicion, "Thank you." As she accepted the letter, the hardened wax sealing the envelope immediately caught her attention. The insignia had her family initials inscribed in cursive and suddenly, she felt a combination of anger and sorrow churning.

Quickly opening the envelope, she skimmed the words on the page as she let out a shaky breath.

𝙼𝚢 𝚍𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚍𝚊𝚞𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚎𝚛,

       𝙸𝚝 𝚑𝚊𝚜 𝚋𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚖𝚊𝚗𝚢 𝚢𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚜 𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚌𝚎 𝚠𝚎 𝚕𝚊𝚜𝚝 𝚜𝚙𝚘𝚔𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚎𝚊𝚌𝚑 𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛, 𝙸 𝚛𝚎𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚝 𝚝𝚊𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚜𝚘 𝚕𝚘𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚘 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚌𝚑 𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚝𝚘 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚒𝚝 𝚒𝚜 𝚞𝚗𝚍𝚎𝚛 𝚞𝚗𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚞𝚗𝚊𝚝𝚎 𝚌𝚒𝚛𝚌𝚞𝚖𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚎𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝙸 𝚠𝚛𝚒𝚝𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚕𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛.
       𝙰𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙲𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚝 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚊𝚜 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚏𝚊𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛, 𝙸 𝚛𝚎𝚚𝚞𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚒𝚖𝚖𝚎𝚍𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚜𝚎𝚗𝚌𝚎 𝚊𝚝 𝙻/𝚗 𝙼𝚊𝚗𝚘𝚛. 𝙸 𝚝𝚛𝚞𝚕𝚢 𝚑𝚘𝚙𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚘𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚘𝚠𝚗 𝚟𝚘𝚕𝚒𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗. 𝙸 𝚠𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍 𝚓𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚑𝚊𝚝𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚌𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚖𝚢 𝚍𝚎𝚊𝚛, 𝙸 𝚠𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚗𝚝 𝚝𝚘 𝚌𝚊𝚞𝚜𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚏𝚞𝚛𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚐𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚏.
       𝙸 𝚞𝚗𝚍𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚒𝚜 𝚜𝚞𝚍𝚍𝚎𝚗 𝚋𝚞𝚝 𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚒𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚎𝚗𝚌𝚎. 𝙸 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚜𝚎𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚜𝚘𝚘𝚗, 𝚈/𝚗 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙱𝚕𝚞𝚎 𝙼𝚘𝚘𝚗.

𝚈𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚏𝚊𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛,
       𝙲𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚝 É𝚟𝚊𝚛𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚎 𝙻/𝚗.

Y/n found the letter audacious, crumpling it before tossing it aside, "How dare he threaten me?"