chapter 15

(You guys honestly brighten up my day with your comments, thank you so much for the kind words and support!!)

"Vanitas!"

Y/n's cries were met with silence. The wind nipped at her exposed skin like blades of ice. Anxiety rooted itself in her heart, but the thought of Vanitas dying gave her enough incentive to continue searching.

Tracking him seemed useless, the snow covered up his footsteps and scent.

'I hate the cold, it always brings back such painful memories.'

"Vanitas! Say something, please!"

She strained her ears but heard nothing for a few minutes until she caught the sound of her name, it was faint, but it was definitely him calling out for her.

Moments later, she stumbled across the dark-haired male and she broke into a relieved smile. Dropping to her knees beside him, Y/n embraced him with all her might. She pulled away abruptly when the smell of blood wafted through the air.

"You're injured!"

"It's been dealt with."

"Nonsense! Let me heal you."

Vanitas was going to refuse, but the mix of worry and determination in her gaze changed his mind. With a deep, slightly annoyed sigh, he let her help him.

"Alright, done. Now, let's get you out of here." Said the vampire.

He noticed how she shivered. Vanitas hadn't realized it yet, but he would often quietly observe Y/n. He found himself wanting to hold her, to comfort her, to know everything about her. He just couldn't bring himself to admit he has come to care so deeply for someone. It scared him.

Y/n reached for him, he thought she wanted her cloak back but instead, she fixed it so it wouldn't fall and placed the hood over his head, protecting it from the harsh weather.

She scooped him up into her arms and Vanitas prepared himself for her usual teasing, you can imagine his confusion when she carried him away without a word.

'Why aren't you saying anything?'

Feeling him stare holes into her head, she finally caved and asked, "what?"

A little embarrassed he had been caught, the male let out an involuntary squeak before trying to cover it up with a cough.

A soft smile graced the woman's features, "we should be finding somewhere to wait out this horrid weather soon."

"How do you know?"

"There are ribbons tied to some tree branches. Usually, this is done so people can find their way back to something. I used to do this when I was younger."

"I see."

They wandered for a few minutes before the vampire gasped, "there!"

Sure enough, there was a small, stone cabin.

Y/n set Vanitas down on the firm mattress and rummaged around the fireplace until she found a box of matches. Striking two matches and tossing them into the stack of wood, the cabin began to warm.

"Why can't anything we do be straightforward?"

Vanitas managed a small smile before going into a coughing fit and hugging himself.

"You'll only get worse if you stay in those damp clothes."

"What would you have me do then?" The male's teeth chattered as he shivered.

"Disrobe."

It was a simple command and under different circumstances, Vanitas would have no problem undressing. However, he was alone with her, during a storm that would last God knows how long and he was in a vulnerable state. Vanitas knew she wasn't going to attack him, but he didn't like feeling helpless or indebted to others, even if that person was Y/n.