chapter 12

"I'll help you get your revenge."

You beamed at him as you brushed away tears, "really?"

"Of course. But I need the whole story, what happened after you left yesterday?"

You recounted the events leading up to discovering your sister's corpse in as much detail as you could, right down to the eyes Moreau got a hold of and the scythe that materialized out of nowhere.

Your voice cracked and fresh tears welled up in your eyes. Vanitas placed his hand on the small of your back, "Breathe, I'm right here."

"You're a lot more tolerable than usual." You commented.

"I know, I'm a delight." He batted his eyelashes overdramatically.

The two of you spent the rest of the day talking to each other. Either making snarky comments and exchanging painfully bad jokes or figuring out what your next step should be.

"I am surprised though." You said.

"Hm, about what?"

"That Jeanne left Luca just to spent time with you."

"I was too, but apparently he is spending the day with his older brother. Jeanne had the day off and received special permission to come see me."

"Special permission? From whom?"

Vanitas stopped walking abruptly, turning white as a sheet, "Lord Ruthven."

You didn't get a chance to meet Lord Ruthven but judging from the look on Vanitas' face, it wasn't a good thing when he was involved.

Without a word, he sprinted away. You caught up easily and lifted him in your arms, "What are you doing?!" He cried out.

"You're too slow. Now, where to?"

"My current hotel."

"Understood, don't let go."

The world was a blur as you raced through the crowd. Turning right into an alley, you jumped from building to building, running far too fast for people to understand what they saw - if they saw anything at all.

"Holy shit-!" Vanitas clung onto you like a scared child and you won't lie, it amused you.

"Scared?"

"No!"

"That isn't very convincing."

"Shut up- AHH!"

You landed on the roof of a building gracefully and spoke softly, "Vanitas."

He refused to look at you but still held on with an iron grip.

"Please trust me enough to know I will always be there to catch you."

Vanitas didn't answer but he loosened his grip slightly, that was enough for you.

You began to run again, reaching the hotel in less than five minutes, bursting in through the window and almost landing on a sleeping Noé, who, for some reason, was on the floor.

"Vanitas and... Y/n? What's going on? It's dark out already! Did I sleep all day?"

Vanitas sat on his bed and let out an exasperated sigh.

"Why do you look so tired?" Noé asked the blue-eyed boy.

"Never mind, we have bigger problems. Y/n, you should probably be the one to tell him."

So, once more, you gave a detailed summary of the events that transpired the night before. Noé was left speechless.

Without saying a thing, he stood up, walked over to you and hugged you.