chapter 3 (edited)

Y/n jumped out of the window and made a smooth landing. Once she caught Vanitas' scent, she raced after him. Almost ten minutes must have gone by before she found him and the Hellfire Witch, who also took notice of her arrival.

"You." Jeanne scowled, baring her teeth.

"Me." She answered with a taunting grin.

"Y/n, was it? To what do I owe the pleasure?" Vanitas gave her a smile, although she couldn't quite decipher its meaning.

"Vanitas, you already know why I'm here so let's cut to the chase. Hand over the grimoire."

"You'll have to do better than that. I'm quite attached to it." He shrugged.

Y/n growled impatiently, she was running out of time. Noelle was running out of time.

"I don't have time to waste on playing this stupid game of cat and mouse. I need the book."

Vanitas sighed and was going to tease her until he saw the look of desperation and fear in her eyes, "What frightens you so much you'd make an expression like that?"

She grits her teeth, contemplating letting him in on the fact that Noelle was a curse bearer. Just as she was about to confess the reason behind it, the same sound from earlier resonated through the area, affecting Jeanne.

"So the great Hellfire Witch is a curse bearer?" Y/n couldn't help her mocking tone, it was in her nature to deflect personal questions this way.

Jeanne snarled at her, and for a moment, Y/n felt bad, "Sorry. I know dealing with the curse is awful."

"I am not a curse-bearer!" She denied, "Besides, even if I was, how would you know what it's like when you aren't affected?" She asked breaths laboured.

"You're right, it doesn't affect me. Not directly, at least."

Jeanne looked at her in confusion while Vanitas was still piecing together the information.

The woman shook her head as if dismissing the conversation, "Since you won't willingly hand it over, Vanitas, I suppose I must take it by force. Even if it means your death."

She lunged at him but Jeanne cut her off. Y/n dodged her attack and kicked her away, putting some distance between the two of them.

"Why do you protect him?" She couldn't understand.

"Because Master Luca wishes to speak with him."

"Apologise to your master, because I can't allow it."

The two faced off in a battle of fangs and claws, rapidly exchanging blows and alternating between defence and attack. Y/n had the advantage, she wasn't affected by the voices but Jeanne was still a vicious adversary.

The Hellfire Witch vampire punched the e/c-eyed woman's nose, leaving her momentarily disorientated. The simple attack gave her enough time to come up with a sequence of attacks. Punch to the face, claws to the stomach, another punch and a kick to the side.

Y/n was sent skidding away as a mix of excitement and anxiety washed over her.

As they fought, Y/n noticed Vanitas trying to avoid getting close, at least he had enough common sense to know not to get between a vampire fight.

It was hard, Jeanne was truly an excellent fighter but unfortunately, luck wasn't on her side. The moment the girl left the slightest opening, Y/n incapacitated her. Putting her hands behind her back, sitting on top of her and placing claws to her neck, rendering her immobile.

"I don't know what relationship the two of you have but it's worked in my favour today. Hand me the grimoire or I'll kill her." She threatened the doctor.