Chapter 17

[Is anyone interested in an academic rivals to lovers story? Forgot to ask last time but if so, which character(s) from which anime? (Unless you want to see my OCs)]

"A trespasser?"

"Forget the trespasser. Find the beast, now!"

While making their way to help Noé and save the curse-bearer, the group stumbled across the soldiers from yesterday.

"We must slay the fiend and present its corpse before His Majesty!"

"What the devil is this? We saw the Beast slaughter them all yesterday!" Dante gasped, bewildered by the sight of the supposedly dead cluster of soldiers.

'A time loop?'

"I understand now. It's a time loop, and I know the malnomen. This is a closed world space created by a curse-bearer." Stated the vampire doctor.

Jeanne's eyes glowed a crimson hue before she propelled herself upwards with her crimson gauntlet, Carpe Diem. So lost in thought, the bourreau hadn't noticed the human on her back.

"Wow! I didn't know it could do that."

"Vanitas?!"

"Alright, let's head straight for the castle."

"Are you a fool? Get off. I'm going to kill the Beast!"

"And I'm going to save the curse-bearer."

"I must warn you that if you persist then–"

"Is this truly what you want?"

"I'm a bourreau. I must not cause further trouble for Master Luca and Lord Ruthven!"

Grabbing ahold of his collar, Jeanne flung him towards the castle. With an unbothered smile, Vanitas called out, "Y/n, catch!"

"I'm not a dog!"

Still, she caught him midair and landed gracefully on top of one of the castle towers, her arms supporting his back and legs.

He nuzzled into her neck, breath fanning over her skin as he spoke, "Ah~ what would I do without you?"

She leaned away from his touch and he made a sound of displeasure at the action.

"Vanitas, focus." She reminded as she placed him down.

He waved his hand dismissively, "Help Noé and save the curse-bearer, I remember."

The duo walked side by side and it wasn't long until they found their missing companion. He was kneeling, one hand grasping at his chest as if in pain and the other outstretched in their direction despite looking like he was seeing right through them.

Vanitas grabbed hold of his hand, "Hey. Why are you about to kick the bucket again, Noé?"

He stared at them, unsure if they were real or mere hallucinations, "Vanitas, Y/n? Is this real?"

The doctor smacked him hard across the face, applying enough force to leave a fleeting mark.

"Does this hurt?" He asked the vampire as he continued to torture him.

"Yes."

"Welcome back to reality."

"Thanks."

"What the devil happened to you? Did someone slip you some sketchy medicine?"

"Yes, I suppose that's the case."

"...seriously?" He squinted incredulously.

"Never mind that!" The scythe-wielder pushed Vanitas to the side, checking Noé for any injuries he might have sustained during his kidnapping.