Chapter 10

The malnomen thrashed violently as it consumed large amounts of the laboratory, trying arduously to devour Y/n, Noé, Vanitas, and the chasseurs who barely managed to dodge the onslaught of attacks.

"This is impossible, we can't even get close! We should retreat and get more help." Noé suggested.

"As much as I adore the optimism, I highly doubt the chasseurs are willing to collaborate," Y/n answered.

"But surely they'll understand if we just--"

He was cut off by Roland, "I'm afraid it isn't that simple, the rest of the chasseurs would only see you and your friends as threats."

The woman glared at Vanitas who was too preoccupied trying to stay alive to notice, "what are you waiting for?! Hurry and use the book to unfuck the situation!"

"If you haven't realized, I'm a little busy at the moment! Just give me a minute to make a plan--"

"We don't have the time!"

"You know what, you're impatient and reckless, that will kill you one day!"

"I'm just eager to go to bed. Just how much time do you need to concoct your plans?" She asked, kicking aside one of the malnomen's giant arms.

"I don't know! Just don't die until I come up with something."

"Could the two of you stop bickering? It's embarrassing!" Noé scolded.

From her peripheral vision, Y/n saw the malnomen's hand quickly getting closer, but her body wouldn't move, it just trembled. She had reached her limit.

"Y/n, what are you doing?! Get away, hurry!" Noé yelled, unable to get close as, he too, was under attack.

She balled her hands into fists, hoping the sharp pain of her claws digging into her flesh would force her body to comply.

It didn't.

The giant hand gripped Y/n by the leg, flinging her up and then slamming her onto the ground. What was she, a ragdoll? Her vision blurred and her arm was broken, her body wasn't healing. She felt herself being thrown in the air again, only to come crashing back down. Everything hurt. Her body was bruised and mangled with her arm bent at an unnatural angle.

An enormous fist collided with her ribs and she heard a sickening crack. Her heart hammered in her chest as the malnomen's giant limbs loomed over her.

Move.

Please, move!

Y/n had to force herself to surround her body with electricity, seeing as it didn't look like she would be moving, this was the only option. If she ends up dying, she's at least buying Vanitas more time. Y/n didn't know the exact voltage, but it was enough to keep it away for now. Exhausted in every conceivable way, her vision tunneled as everyone and everything became fuzzy colourful shapes. Vanitas' voice grew more distant and muffled by the second. Darkness began to envelop her and she let down her guard, welcoming it as her aching muscles relaxed.

Letting down her guard was a horrible error on her part, the electricity shielding Y/n vanished and the malnomen snatched her up. Eyes snapping open, she felt completely disoriented, head spinning. Then, Noelle's crying face popped into her mind and she knew how devastated she would be if Y/n allowed herself to die. Contradicting her earlier thoughts, she refused to be killed in the same laboratory where she was once held captive and tortured, especially if it meant leaving behind her sister.

With a pained wheeze, Y/n twisted her body to kick and claw at the arm until it dropped her with a distorted shriek.

"Are you okay?!" Both Noé and Vanitas asked with varying degrees of concern.