chapter 18

[A/n: Sorry for the long wait. For those of you who were patient, thank you. For those who thought messaging me privately demanding and threatening for an update was a good idea, stop or I'll block you.

Also, I think I might've turned y/n into a Todoroki kinnie for a moment 😭]

The two women stared at one another in silence. Chloé wore a large smile, eyes all but twinkling in delight at their expressions.

Y/n looked aghast that someone knew who she truly was whereas Vanitas shook his head, "that's impossible. The L/ns, to my knowledge, only had one daughter and she died many years ago as a young child."

Chloé laughed once more, "Is that what you've been told? I'll admit, I wasn't sure how much of the rumours were true, but seeing her now, there's no mistaking it. Y/n, you truly do look just like your parents."

Something seemed to click in Vanitas' mind as he raised his palm to lightly smack his forehead, finally understanding how Chloé knew about his companion. Truth be told, he always thought the events leading up to the death of the Count's daughter were strange and incredibly vague, still, no one thought it would be right to question them.

He finally said, "The d'Apchiers and the L/ns have been friends for centuries so when they discovered your research for the Alteration Engine..."

"Oh, have you figured it out?" She grinned before nodding her head, hair bouncing slightly as she did, "that's right. They requested that I altered the circumstances of their daughter's birth. In the end, I received word that their child had unfortunately passed away... Who would have thought that same little girl would be standing before me today?"

Y/n said nothing in return as she glared, the grip on her scythe tightened in an attempt to conceal her shaking hands.

"Have I made you angry? Does that mean I'll see your powers first-hand?"

"Y/n." His voice was calm when he spoke her name but she noticed the slight edge to it.

Chloé proposed an idea, "If you wish, I could still fulfil the request they made."

"What?" The two asked simultaneously.

"Altering the circumstances of your birth. I can make that happen."

Trepidation silenced Vanitas and all he could do was stare at Y/n's side profile as a bead of sweat rolled down his face. It was odd, how suffocating those few seconds of quiet were. Perhaps he was being selfish, not wanting her to leave simply because her presence brought him comfort even while knowing her suffering, for the most part, would end if she chose to accept the offer. Still, he hoped she chose to stay by his side, at least for a little longer.

"No," Her words rang clearly in the oppressive silence, "Why should I have to alter who I am to gain their approval? I will never return to them willingly."

"I see... Now then," the marchioness' voice, which had been light and accepting, slowly changed into something lower, darker, "friends or foes, which do you claim?"

Naenia, who had been oddly tight-lipped until now, coiled its shadowy figure around the child-like vampire.

"They are foes, your enemies. And I hate them, I truly do."

Vanitas cackled almost mockingly at the question, "I'm no one's friend."

Chloé shifted her gaze to the h/c-haired woman who shrugged and said, "I'm just here so he doesn't die."

The glimmer of interest in the older vampire's grey eyes dulled drastically, "I was hoping to be able to gauge your potential, but I suppose that can wait," she directed those words at Y/n before turning to Naenia, "Don't kill her, but do as you wish to her companion."