Chapter 3: Beatrice Cooper

Two Years Later:
(needed for book to continue in-line with the first one)

The heat of the afternoon soaks into my skin in hot waves. Sweat runs down the back of my neck, dripping under the deep, royal purple maid of honor dress. My curled hair - with the humidity in the air - frizzes up, and the strands continue to get into my eyes. 

My heels click-clack against the white marble floors of Reaper's house. That man sure makes money, enough to have his and Fiona's wedding. To afford a house like this, he has just got to. But, despite my best efforts, trying to make this day more about them than myself, selfish ol' me can't help but still think about myself. 

Continually, I have run into him. More specifically, my ex-boyfriend of four weeks now, Whiskey. Yeah, you got that right. One year and eight months, twenty months, about 609 days - I didn't even know his fucking real name. If that gives anyone any indication of anything, it is that none of those seconds, minutes, hours, months, meant anything to him. 

And so, him being the best man and me the maid of honor, it's not like we can avoid one another. I'm trying, I'm really trying, to keep myself together, but my head, my heart, and my pussy keep saying three different things.

I still can't believe I didn't see the signs. The red, flashing, blaring, and blinding signs were begging me to listen. Telling me that he wasn't the one that was ever going to reach the bare minimum expectations that I set for myself, the standard of man that I deserve. 

Even though my mother and father weren't around much - some of the words and actions that my parents showed to one another left more of an impact on me than I want to admit. More than either of them knew. 

But Whiskey...he wasn't supposed to be what he came to be. He was only supposed to be a one-night stand. A hump and dump as you will. However, it took less than that one night to convince me to stay with him, to be with him. 

I wanted to stay, not just because of him but also because of Fiona, but he had a large influence on my decision. Much more than he should have at the time. Maybe it was the way his eyes gazed into mine or his soft touch upon my skin or the way he fucked me from behind - I was a goner without hesitation. 

The hesitation that should have existed.

Now, two years later, my decision has changed my entire life. I have fallen in love with this town, the same way I fell in love with a man who never gave me his full, real name. That was my mistake...clearly. I would never leave. I couldn't possibly leave the one place I felt that I belonged, even if I'm not dating Whiskey. 

The other men - Alpha, Bear, Tank, Poison, Bullet, even the prospects Major and Nicholas - they make me feel at home. They are like brothers to me and treat me in the kindest way. That cannot be said for Whiskey. Although he has never once physically hurt me, the emotional turmoil that our relationship was, wasn't healthy for either of us. 

So, in a way, I'm almost grateful for the heartbreak that allowed me to grow into a stronger woman but having to see that devilishly handsome face every day doesn't make my sexual desire for him leave any faster. I wonder how long it will remain without indulging myself.

With a loud crash from the kitchen, I halt in my determined tracks. Quickly, I reach under my dress - sending a quiet 'thank you' to Bullet for the shooting lesson - and yank my pistol from the garter on my leg. I feel the lace between my fingers and think for a moment...Whiskey would just love to see what's underneath this dress. 

Fuck Beatrice, now is not the time. 

On my tiptoes to make less noise, I move briskly to the movement. I take a sharp breath before turning around the corner to find something completely different from what I was expecting.