Chapter 16: Eli Noble

She pushes me backward, getting a few of her men to push the four of us about her door. I don't think she's realized that everything else in her possession has been raided by Slasher and Bullet. I wonder what they found - cocaine or fentanyl probably. 

The next few minutes are a blur. Helping gather what the two other men found, including boys and girls that range from their early teenage years to the late twenties which is absolutely disgusting, is painful. I can't begin to imagine the people who have suffered at her hands, mostly innocent people, that wanted nothing but to live their lives. 

Life contains suffering, it's part of the ugliness of this world, but staying away from Victoria was a choice that would have been ripped from them. She wasn't like this when I dated her in my teens. 

At the time, she was kind, not cruel, using her intelligence for a good purpose, and not trying to sell young people on the black market. We weren't the best for one another. I never thought she would feel so deeply and emotionally attached to me, and I wasn't looking for anything like that. 

I wasn't thinking about spending the rest of my life with anyone, let alone some random girl that I knew from school who I thought was cute and fun to hang out with. I didn't think of her as a potential life partner, which I think is okay for high school, but she had a different opinion. 

I know this because when I broke up with her and sort of tossed her to the wolves per se, she tore me a new one. I would hardly disagree when I say I deserved it, but I wasn't fully committed to being in a lifelong relationship with her. 

I thought I had made that perfectly clear when I said I wasn't into anything long-term. It was her choice to get into a relationship with me knowing what I wanted and she wanted something different, right? I didn't force her into that choice.

But part of me resonates with what she said to me. All of this is my fault. I was the one that approached her first, broke up with her, and to get out of the gang, sent her to my boss for only a few jobs. I was assured that she wouldn't be hurt by the boss or any of the other members of the gang. I asked her, and under pressure, she agreed. 

That was a wrong and terrible decision on my part. There's no excuse for that. But she was strong, I thought she would do what she had to do and get out. Not only was I protecting myself when I had to get out but my mother. Roxy was all I knew her as - I'm pretty that was her stripper name - and she got caught in some bad business with my boss too. 

All I knew him as was Boss or Maximiliano. I'm not entirely sure what the full story is, but she got entangled with him, and he was threatening her to do things - sexual things - for him. No matter what she did to me, no one deserves what she got from him. 

I felt lost and like I had no choice, and I was selfish enough to give someone up for my own life. I'm not that person anymore, but he was once me. Maybe that part of me isn't gone. Maybe I'll make the wrong decision again and hurt the people I love. And I would be alone, once again.

"Whiskey, look at Alpha."

I turn my head to see him consoling an older-looking woman, older than me, maybe twenty-six or something like that.

"What about him, Bullet?"

"He likes her."

"It's been two minutes, man. And she was gonna be sold as an object. I hope you would console her too."

"Yeah, but he never does that to anyone."

"What? Touch people."

"Hmm-Uhm."