Chapter 26: Beatrice Cooper

Outfits above

"I'll see you in two hours."

"But, babe-"

"Go get ready, darling."

"You don't have to do this."

"Do what? Take you on a date?"

"Every moment I get with you is enough. I don't..."

"I agree. Every second I spend next to you is pure joy for me, but we also have to indulge ourselves in date night. No pressure, just a fun, relaxing time. Something we both need."

"I don't want you to feel like you have to."

"I'm not forced to do anything. It's all free will."

If you believe in free will and all that.

"Do you not want to go on a date with me, darling?"

"I do, I promise. I've wanted to for like three weeks, but I want to make sure that we both want this."

"Hell yeah, I want this. I want all of it. You're my Old Lady now, so there's no going back."

"I don't want to. I love you."

"I love you. Now, go get dressed."

Eli places a swift yet passionate kiss on my lips, my heart racing a mile a minute, and disappears down the hall. I chuckle softly before entering my apartment, the warm sun flooding the floors through the wide windows. My eyes scan the place, and I find myself tearing up. 

I didn't realize how alone I felt being here by myself until two of the best people came to live with me. My daughter Navy is wild and rebellious and kind and strong. My Eli, my Whiskey, the man who has changed my life in the most amazing ways. 

Everything about him has taught me new things about this life; his strength, vulnerability, patience, bravery, and loyalty demonstrating to me that I am capable of trust, capable of being loved. 

And has taught me to indulge in things I want. I want him, all of him, for the rest of my life - no matter how long that may be. I'm proud to be the woman he chose to spend the rest of his life with. I'm proud to be his Old Lady.

So, I am going to treat him right.

As he treats me like his queen, I will treat him as my king.

I step into my bedroom, peeling off the slightly damp clothing I still wear, smiling to myself at Fiona's troublemaking proficiencies. When I met her while I was seventeen at Mr. Anderson's, and she has changed quite a bit, but she has not changed her mischievousness. I love her more for it anyway. 

I step in the hot shower, letting the water hit my cool toes that sting but in a good way. Knowing I have two hours, I take my time showering, shaving most of my body, drying myself off, and taking care of my curls - drying them with the plopping method. Poor Eli's t-shirt. 

I slide white, mesh underwear up to my smooth and lotioned legs, goosebumps lining my skin at the chill in the air. I think back to what Eli said earlier - 'comfortable yet clean'. In my closet, I search for my comfortable clothes and rule out a few items that won't work for a date. It's mostly sweatpants. 

My eyes flick over to my dress section, knowing that the ones I buy are enjoyable to wear but also look good. And that's when I see the perfect dress.

It's a mustard yellow, white floral print mini dress. Perfect for the summertime but is fashionable. And with Eli probably going to want me to walk somewhere since he's just that kind of guy who has a small adventure planned, I can pair it up with some cute white tennis shoes.