[1] gray eyes to blue

°°°
"We come together, state of the art..."
Kids In The Dark - All Time Low

[1] gray eyes to blue

My car almost hydroplaned when I was driving on the main road, many people passing me eagerly to get to their destination. I was panicked for a second, then calmed down when the car went back to it's normal state; riding smoothly against the roads while the sky cried violently down to us.

I turned down the radio, feeling the need to hear the rain hitting the car's wind shield. The somewhat silence - besides the sound of rain - calmed my panicked state of the earlier incident of my car almost hydroplaning. Which my dad would torture me if I wrecked the car. I had gotten this car last summer for a present and I was happy-I could drive anywhere with whoever I wanted.

Well... Kind of. It didn't turn out that way though.

What actually happened is I could only drive it after school and not after 11 o'clock on weekends, which sucked. But rules were rules and at my house, they were to be followed.

If they weren't followed correctly, there would be problems.

Sighing, I pulled into the police station. My brother worked there, it was his dream job which successfully worked out. My dad and mom both owned a diner; The Delighted. Which they were both working at as of right now.

And I had got a break, I worked at the diner with my parents. I mainly cleared the table and cleaned. It wasn't an amazing thing to do on most Fridays and Saturdays, but my parents needed the help anyways. Our main cook, Joe, had quit for family reasons; his wife had been diagnosed with cancer and she had decided to not go on chemotherapy. Now Joe and his wife were traveling the world together. We had got a new cook, David, he was really well at cooking. If I do say so myself, he made some killer burgers, too.

My brother was engaged with his highschool sweetheart, Addie who worked at a nice clothing store that paid decent enough money to be stable enough, just like Morris. My brother had engaged to her in front of her parents, my parents, and I. She had said yes, of course. And we were all thrilled. Soon enough, they'd get married in the late fall. They were a happy couple, they moved in to a apartment together east of town and not far from our house. Which meant that-since they didn't live too far away-they liked to visit us a lot.

"Nolan, hey!" The sheriff, a kind tall man who barely had anymore hair on his head, greeted me when he saw me walking in. "Here to see you brother?"

"Yes, sir." I smiled at him politely. I walked past him and saw my brother seated at his desk, staring at his computer in focus. Morris looked a lot more like our mom with light blonde hair with deep, light brown eyes. His face held laugh lines by his mouth and eyes. He was tall, like dad while my mom was short; 5'4. On the other hand, I looked more like my dad. I had his sandy brown hair with his light blue eyes. I was tall also, but not freakishly tall that a person could see my head in a crowd easily. I was an average height for my age.

I set a bag down on my Morris's desk, causing him to look up and smile. "Ah, your sure are a life saver." He opened up the bag and sniffed his food mom had requested David to make for Morris. It was this burger, a thick patty with cheese in the patty instead of on top with lightly toasted bread. He liked mustard on his burger and lettuce with onions.

"Mom told me to bring it to you anyways, so I guess she and I are both a life saver." I told him, watching him take a bite of the food.

He chewed his food then swallowed. "Well, you both are. It doesn't matter, I got this amazing burger in the process. So, how have you been, I mean, your summer so far?"

I managed a shrug. "It's been ok, I guess. Better than waking up early for school."

"Ah, I remember when I used to do that." Morris smiled a little, memories flashing in his head. "Now I get up early for work, don't wish for school to end. Because then, you'll have to get a job and wake up early also, but then you don't have a summer break, Nolan, so enjoy while you can."

"Hmm, maybe I wanna be a teacher." I mused, smiling a little bit.

"Uh huh - wait, are you serious?" He raised an eyebrow. My parents wanted me to run the diner when I grew up and I've been told that since I could walk. Morris had a choice for what career he wanted, but my parents insisted I own it. I guess it wouldn't be a bad job to own The Delighted, but it wasn't my dream job. At least I don't think it is.

"No, just kidding." I pulled up a smile. Morris took another bite of his burger. "So what are you working on?"

"Oh, just work mostly."

"Would've never guessed that," I said, shooting him a roll of my eyes.

He smiled, "Oh, shut it. I'm writing this paper..." He started typing again after wiping his hands to clear the grease.

"Oh, sounds fun." I obviously wasn't wanted here right now. I needed to make my exit. "Well, Morris, I'll see you around, okay?"

My brother looked up. "Alright. Addie and I are still planning on coming to the house for Sunday dinner. See you then!" I nodded and headed to the door, but stopped when two officers walked in, holding a girl by both arms.

The first thing I noticed about her was her eyes; a deep, rich and light piercing gray that made me fascinated by that color. Then I noticed her hair, which was a deep, raven black hair. Her lips were full with red lipstick. A sharp, small nose and freckled cheeks. Ripped dark jeans fit her legs with a black t-shirt to top it off. Her lips held a full smirk, walking with the officers with ease, her black converse hitting the tile floor lightly, making a quiet noise.

"What's she doing here?" The sheriff asked, looking up from the papers in his hand to look at her, seeming a little upset.

"Had alcohol on her, she's underage." One officer, the red haired one, told him. "Second times she's been caught for underage drinking."

"Hmm, what were you doing with the alcohol, huh?" The sheriff asked her, giving her a disapproving look. His voice was soft and calm, like he didn't want to be upset that teenager was underage, drinking alcohol.

She looked up at him, her fascinating eyes on display. "What do you think?" Her voice sounded light, yet rich almost like a soft song-except her voice was purely unique, yet it held something...like she was bored and could care less as to the situation she was in.

And maybe she got into all these situations from time to time, and was used to it.

"I don't know. Why don't you tell me-we can get to that later then." The sheriff sighed when she only smirked wider in response, he ran a hand over his dark-skinned face before meeting eyes with her again. "First off, what is your name, ma'am?"

Her lips quirked up into a smirk almost. She looked around the room, finally taking in her surroundings. Her eyes lingered on a few officers or pictures. Before I could look away so she wouldn't know I was staring and listening to the whole thing, her eyes met mine. It was gray eyes to blue. I felt like the back of my neck ignite into a dark shade of red. Nervously, I began to fidget with my fingers.

"My name is," her tone was light. "Clarity Stevens."

And at that moment, I was drawn in. She was the waves that sank me closer; further from shore and I was drowning in all of her.

.·.·°•.·.·

New story again, ta-da! I've been working on this for a while and hope you all liked it. So I had decided to start asking questions at the end of each chapter (like I usually do in my previous books.)

Questions:

Did you enjoy it?

Do you like Clarity?

What do you think'll happen next?

- Talia