[22] quick lies

"She dreams more often than she sleeps." - Jonny Ox

[22] quick lies

The house smelled of brownies and cakes. My mom, dressed in a summer dress and sandals, came rushing to us as we entered the house. Her eyes were wide but full of relief. My dad trailed behind, faint red cheeks tinted with emotion, and thin lips pressed into a line.

"Nolan!" she cried out, squishing me into a hug. "I'm so, so glad you're okay." She was warm and felt smaller in my arms since I've been getting taller over the last year or so.

"I didn't mean to worry you," I mumbled into her strawberry scented hair. "We lost the track of time, and-"

"Ah, yes! Your guest!" My mom whipped around to look at Clarity fully, interrupting my apology. Clarity smiled politely, looking nervous and out of place. "You're so lovely. What's your name?"

"Clarity." She mumbled through tight lips, hands curling around some strands of hair. Clarity looked a bit paler than usual and I hoped she was feeling well. "Miss...Livingston, may I know where your bathroom is?"

"Down the hall there and it's the first door," she quickly explained and Clarity followed the directions.

My dad looked me in the eyes, turning to me as she left.. "Son, I am saddened to say I'm slightly disappointed in how you acted today. We thought something could've happened to you. I don't like how you didn't inform us of your plans today or text or call us later to inform us that you were safe and okay." He ran a hand over his face, looking exhausted and I felt bad for worrying them so much. "Instead, I had to found out you ran off with some friend from David."

My mom frowned, putting a hand on my dad's forearm. "Honey, he's okay now. We don't have to worry anymore." He seemed to calm the slightest bit at her touch, almost making me smile at how affectionate they were, even in small ways.

"Agreed, we don't have to worry anymore. But that doesn't excuse the fact how he acted-" he fell silent as Clarity entered the room. She noticed we'd gone silent as she walked in and frowned slightly. She'd pulled her hair up, most of the loose hairs tucked tight into her pony tail.

"So I'm making a ton of baked goods for the bake sale tomorrow for the book club I'm in," explained my mom, motioning us towards the kitchen. Dad nodded his head to let us go and unfolded the newspaper for him to read. "But guess what? Making all these yummy desserts made me wanna eat some. So... Why not eat a few once they're done?" Her eyes sparkled with humor and mischief, reminding me of a younger child.

Clarity chuckled. "What did you make?"

"I'm making two pans of brownies and one pan of vanilla cake," she answered. "Most of the others are bringing cookies or muffins. I decided to do differently."

"Well, I love them all so I'm not complaining." I replied, peeking the oven open to look at the sweets. They all looked delicious and my stomach growled.

"I'll tell you two when they're done so we can eat a few," she said, beginning to wash her hands. "Nolan, show her around the house. You don't need to be a stranger, Clarity. You two are only friends, I assume?"

"Yes," said Clarity. "Just that."

I stuffed my hands in my pockets, and lead her out of the kitchen. My house only had an upstairs that only had three rooms; an extra bathroom, my room, and my brother's room. My parent's room was downstairs since it was the biggest one down there. She followed me quietly, commenting only a couple of words before following me out again. We stepped into Morris's room, and I began to feel awkward. How would I explain who my brother was and what he did for a living if she asked? Would she know who he was once I told her?