[7] i think i saw her

°°°
"We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it. That's all." - The Breakfast Club

[7] i think i saw her

Morris and Addie came to our house Sunday night for dinner. My parents beamed with pride as they entered the house. My mom adored Addie and her other son, Morris. My dad did too, but mainly he loved Morris with all her heart - Morris was the star of the house, even when he didn't live here anymore. It wasn't like I was jealous or anything. I usually ran away from any unwanted attention, but sometimes it would be nice for my parents to acknowledge their own son who still lives in the house once in a while.

"Hey Morris!" My mom hugged him. She hugged Addie next as I stood awkwardly and uncomfortably beside them. "How are the two of you?"

Addie and Morris where hand in hand, still completely lovestruck. "We're doing great, thanks." Addie answered, adoringly looking at Morris.

"Aww, that's so great! Here, dinner is already ready and then we can all talk more at the table." As in 'all' she meant everyone, except me. That's always how dinners with them went, I just wasn't included in the conversation. But when I tried to put myself in their conversation, I was talked over and ignored.

"So, how's work been for you two?" My dad, sitting down, asked them as my mom began to put the plates of food in front of us all. We were having chicken, broccoli, and grilled potatoes with seasoning on top.

"Uhm," Morris cleared his throat. "Ah, well, it's been good-tiring, but good."

My dad smiled. "Yes, well that's how work is. So, Addie, how have you been?"

She smiled. "I've been good, Mr. Livingston. Just planning the wedding and everything. You know how stressful that can be." Mom sat down and took a drink of her water, nodding understandingly at that. "How about you guys?"

"Ah, I've been good. Just working at The Delighted." My dad picked up his fork and began eating his food. I began eating my food, thinking of Clarity. I wondered where she had went, I mean, we were on the side of a road. Where was she going to go? Where is she now? What-

"Hey, buddy," my dad got my attention, stopping my thoughts.

"Hmm?" I asked, brought back to reality as I looked over at him, surprised that he was talking directly to me.

"Morris is talking to you," he explained. "Pay attention."

I looked at Morris. I found him already looking at me, waiting for me to answer some question he had asked.

"Sorry, I didn't hear you," I apologize. "What did you say?"

"I said," Morris swallowed a piece of potato before continuing, "you had left so quickly I didn't get to say goodbye when you last visited me at work. I wish we could've talked longer."

"Oh, yeah, sorry about that. It was just you looked really busy talking with the police guy," I lied "that I didn't want to interrupt, so I just left by myself."

Morris chewed his food, staring at me. "Oh. Okay."

I decided to try to be causal. "So, did, that one girl with the alcohol cause any more trouble?"

Morris stared at me for one second..

Two seconds

Three seconds

Four seconds

Before he answered. "No, she, uh, didn't." Obviously she did since she left without her parents picking her up. Unless her sudden disappearance at the station was unnoticed, he was lying.