Chapter 6 - Fun and Faulty Games

~ Davina

Living in a game. An interesting concept, not one that I expected to ever come across. It's been quite fun, surprisingly. I particularly enjoy taking and hiding something somewhere where he wouldn't expect to find it; it's amusing to watch him all confused as to where it had gone, and then finding the object in the most bizarre area. Things from the kitchen and his room are fun to hide - finding cooking utensils on the beach, his books and trinkets in the forest. Hanging his little collectibles from the trees above the lake before his daily bathe was hilarious. Seeing him walk down the path, kneel down to remove his boots, and notice the odd reflections on the surface of the waves, him looking up and seeing his possessions dangling above him - it was almost enough to make me want to stay. I was stood in a tree just behind him, giggling to myself when it all happened. I've never seen someone so fed up, amused and angry at the same time. Any pirate would love it.

But, we play by the rules - I won't leave if he doesn't imprison me.

We sit at camp, doing absolutely nothing. I nap, unable able to sleep for a few nights for a reason unknown to me. During the night, I heard Pan arrive in his room. Usually, he waits for everyone to fall asleep. I often wonder and try to figure out where he goes when we're all sound asleep, but I daren't ask, because of the whole waterfall business.

- - -

It's a particularly clear evening on the island. I sharpen and clean my sword, making it shine. The Boys are dancing again, Pan playing his pipes. I don't want to admit it, but I can hear his music, but it doesn't enchant me like the others. If I tell him, it means that Pan has won part of the game, and I can't let that happen.

"Davina!" Pan suddenly yells from the other side of the bonfire. "Why don't you come and join the party?"

"Hmmmm...no thanks, mate, I'm fine where I am," I reply.

"You just don't know how to have fun," he says as he strides over to me, wearing his usual smug smile.

I scoff, "Please, I know how to have fun - more than you do," I say without looking up.

"Is that a challenge?"

I pretend to think for a second, "Of course. I'll show you real fun...tomorrow. And if I'm going to be doing that, I need rest," I say as I push myself up off of the ground.

I walk past him, and then take a few steps back so I was next to him, and place my hand on his shoulder. "I hope you're ready," I whisper with a wink, patting his shoulder before heading to bed.

"Davina, if you need anything, all you have to do is think it and believe it, you'll get what you want," Pan calls behind me.

I put my thumb up above me as I continue walking.

- - -

I knock on Pan's door and wait for him to answer. Eventually, I hear his footsteps on the other side before he flings the door open.

"Took you long enough! Come on, let's go," I say.

Before he can respond, I'm already halfway down the stairs on my way to the kitchen. I fry eggs, cook meat, fry bread and cook some beans. He appears in the room on one of the stools at the table; I place his plate in front of him and sit down, tucking straight into my food.

"You've changed your clothing," he notices.

"Yes, well, I thought I should blend in a bit more. Plus, my other clothes need cleaning so...voila."

"Where did you acquire these clothes?" He asks.

"Didn't you say all I had to do was think and believe?" I ask with a smirk.

I've changed into a dark green cut-off vest; a loose moss-green, tie-up cardigan without sleeves, beige trousers and my same boots, just changed to brown. My hair is now in two braids, instead of one; I have leather bracelets - two on my right bicep and two on my left wrist. The others all wear forest colours and there I am in all-black. We finish our breakfast and I leave it to whoever's turn it is to clean up.

"Who's in charge?" I ask.

"Felix. He always is when I'm busy."

"Right, well, let's go."

We climb, swing and run, well, race. I create a fly-wire across the entire island for us to go on, but the best I save for last. I make him lead me to a cliff edge from the opposite side of the island that I saw while I was exploring, I just had no idea how to get up there. We find ourselves at the highest point. It's not even that high.

"So what exactly are we doing up here?" Pan asks with a frown and his hands cross over him as he turns to me while I look out at the open ocean in front of us.

I turn to look at him and smile widely. "To have fun obviously. It's what I've been planning all day. It's the best part."

"What are we going to do? Jump?"

"No I just wanted to go there and back to see how far it is," I reply sarcastically.

"So that's a yes...are you sure?"

"Awww, is big ol' Pan scared of heights?" I tease, pushing out my bottom lip in mockery.

"No, I can fly. This is..." He trails off.

"Something new for you," I finish. "I'll go first."

I shrug off my cardigan as I step towards the edge, and throw it somewhere behind me.

~ Pan

As she walks forward, I see what she's been hiding under the cape and new cardigan.

Scattered angrily across her back and shoulders, are long, pink scars. There are many, too many, for her petite frame - some small, barely showing, but others are too big not to see. Some cut the back of her arms too, and I think that's the worst. But as she looks down, I see a scar leading from the nape of the neck and all the way down her spine.

So that's what she meant when she said she'd lived with worse.

Nothing can compare to that. But what happened for her to receive those?

She continues to judge to the distance for a few more seconds before she takes three strides backwards then runs and leaps off of the edge. I run over and watch her figure slowly disappearing into the distance, eventually landing with a large splash. I watch for her to resurface, and nothing seems to happen. Where is she...?

She isn't coming back up.

I copy her start before soaring off the edge.

I fall for a few seconds, turning in the air so I cut through the water head-first. I feel my hands break the water and I travel downwards before slowly coming to a stop. I use my magic breathe under the water. I search for her, turning from side to side until I finally see her figure flailing around.

I swim towards her, watching her panicked motions; it's as if she's battling the water, trying to fight it off. I near her and touch her arm, and she spins around, her eyes widening and her mouth opens, causing all of the oxygen she was holding in to erupt from her mouth in hundreds of bubbles. The ocean envelopes her and she scrambles for a little before her eyes roll back into her head and she starts sinking down. It takes me longer than necessary to realise what's happening. I propel myself forward, catching her arm before she disappears into the darkness. I pull her up and wrap an arm around her waist and start swimming to the surface. I swim towards the shore, and finally come to the sand. The moment I pull her out, she explodes into a fit of coughs with water spilling out of her mouth. She finishes coughing, starts panting and then starts hysterically crying and screaming. 

"Shh...Davina, shh," I attempt to soothe, but fail. I turn her to look at me, place my palms on either side of head and look into her wide, burning blue eyes.

But her eyes don't see me. They are cast somewhere entirely different. 

"I'm all alone," she whispers just before abruptly falling into unconsciousness.