Chapter 13 - Once Upon A Time

~ Davina

"So you're telling me, that everything I need to know about everyone in this town is in this book...of fairy tales?" I say to Henry, acting as if I don't think it's true, "And that they're all characters in this book, but have no idea because their memories were erased by a curse...cast by your mum?"

"Yes. It's all real. Magic is real. It needs to be brought back, and so do everyone's memories, which is why I brought my mom here."

"Regina?"

"No... Emma. My real mom. Regina doesn't love me, she just pretends she does so she can keep everything under her control," he says, "it's not fair that everyone in this town doesn't have memories of who they really are when Regina obviously has hers. She won't admit it because she thinks I'm crazy. You don't think I'm crazy, do you, Davina? You believe me, right?"

I'm taken off-guard by his question. I can't say no because that would break his heart, but I can't say yes because he might ask why...

"Well...it's not something you hear every day but there's no harm in thinking and believing it," I reply - neither a yes nor a no.

"I knew you would be on my side, I could sense it. Now that that's out of the way, I should show you around."

Henry climbs out of the circular bench, pushing the book back into his rucksack, and starts walking away from the school, waving for me to follow. I scramble out of the bench and follow his lead down the roads. Henry shows me everything from one end of town to the other. We walk down the beach, and he tells me about his school and his favourite subjects and how no one comes to Storybrooke, and no one ever leaves. He tells me about how he found Emma and how things began to change when she arrived.

"Remember the clock tower in the centre of town?" He asks.

"Yes, what about it?"

"It never used to move. It was stuck on eight-fifteen, and then when Emma arrived and decided to stay, it chimed at eight-sixteen," he says. "Not just that, but someone who's been in a coma started waking up."

My heart jumps at this, panicking that he's about to mention me. "Who?"

"In this world, his name is John Doe, no one knows his name, but in the book, he's Prince Charming."

"Prince Charming?" I ask, stopping in our tracks.

"Yeah...why?"

"Oh...um nothing. I just wasn't expecting you to say him," I reply, trying to cover up the recognition in my voice.

"Oh okay. Anyway, you'll see everyone in the book soon; it's not difficult to find them."

"I'm not surprised," I say and he laughs a little.

I look up from watching my boot prints on the sand to see more buildings. "Henry...is that the docks?" I ask.

"Yeah, why?"

I don't reply. Instead, I find myself breaking out into a run and hear Henry follow. I run through the docks, down each wooden platform to see if it's here. I keep running until I come to the end of the last platform, without finding what I'm looking for. Henry comes stumbling up to me, breathless and confused.

"What...are...you...looking...for?" He asks between breaths.

"Henry, do you know if there are any other ships or shipwrecks on the coast of Storybrooke?" I ask, panting and eyes frantically searching the boats currently docked.

"No...but I'm sure we can find out in the town records. Either Regina or Mr Gold has them," he replies after he gets his breath back.

"Mr Gold?" I ask, frowning and glancing down at Henry.