Chapter 12 - Strange Surroundings

~ Davina

My eyes are sore and my head pounds as I wake. I open my eyes slowly, letting them adjust to the light and pull awareness into my body to try and make sense of my surroundings. Under my hands, I can feel something cold; with as much strength as I can muster, I push myself up to sitting. 

I'm lying on a grey stone floor with extremely dim lighting, with four grey walls, one with a door, and the one opposite with a small window about halfway up. There's a metal-framed bed in the right-hand corner with a thin mattress, a green blanket, and a flat pillow. Where am I?

Where was I last? The most recent memory I have is being on my ship...from...where did I-

Neverland.

With a few Lost Boys, we arrived...somewhere. I was supposed to retrieve...

I pat the clothes that I hadn't seemed to have lost - what surprises me is that they're not the ones I acquired in Neverland, but the clothes I've lived in for years - and I feel something in the inside pocket of my cloak. I pull out a piece of rolled parchment and spread it out on the floor. There are several lands marked on it, and the borders seem to glitter apart from one - The Enchanted Forest...but there's a new land, one I had never heard of, or ventured to, before now.

Storybrooke.

How in the bloody hell did I get here?!

I stand slowly and shout out of the window in the door, "Hello? Is anyone there? Can I please speak to someone!"

I peer over the top. Being petite means I have to stand on my tiptoes and strain my neck to see a little bit of the outside world. Eventually, I hear footsteps. I quickly roll the map back up and hide it under the bed. The person who heard me opens the door with a handful of keys - her dark hair is pulled back tight, and she wears a white outfit. A nurse. I face her as soon as she steps inside and hold my hands up to show that I'm not planning on doing anything irrational. She half-closes the door behind her.

"Yes?" She asks, "How can I help?"

"How did I get here?"

"Well, you're a criminal. Prison is where criminals go," she replies.

"Well, yes...this isn't a prison though, is it?" I say impatiently, "...but why am I here? Some kind of hospital?"

"You're prisoner 002 ...you were charged with theft," she replies, disinterested and bored.

"By and from who?"

"Regina Mills."

"...Who's that?"

"The Mayor of Storybrooke."

So she's the reason for this new land and for me being in this cell.

"Is there any way I can speak to her? She is the one who put a thief...in a hospital. I would love to know why, in detail." I ask, closing my eyes as I hope for a positive answer.

"Of course, would you like me to pass on that you requested for her?" The woman asks.

"Please," I respond with a grimace.

She nods once and then leaves the room, locking the door. I undo the knot that holds my cloak up and throw it on the bed, sinking down onto the thin mattress and rubbing my sore eyes, sighing. I look around at the three blank walls - there is no way I can escape unless I have something sharp...

I remove my boots to feel for the silver dagger but find nothing. My heart and shoulders drop. So I lay down on the bed and wait for this so-called Mayor to show up. I close my eyes to ease the pounding in my skull and the burning in my eyes.