Chapter 28 - Unexpected Kindness

~ Davina

I wake up feeling completely free of pain. I can barely remember what happened, or how I ended up in my bed. I look at my hand to see a bandage covering the Black Spot with some sort of paste. I push myself to sit up and rub the sleep out of my eyes. I look over to the left corner of my room and see Pan sitting in a chair.

"Nice to see you still wake up. I thought you were dying when you screamed," he says.

"It felt like it," I reply, "what happened?" I ask, pinching the bridge of my nose as the last remnants of pain subside.

"I heard you scream, but it echoed around the camp and it took a while to figure out that you were in here. When I came in, you were on the floor and barely conscious, mumbling something completely incoherent and crying as you clutched your hand. I managed to pry your hands away from your chest, and I heard how the mark was searing your skin, so I cast a sleeping spell on you and made a numbing paste out of Neverland's plants. Had to ask the Dark One for the recipe, but it should mask the tracking Jones has on you for a while," he explains.

"I was going to say, 'how would you know what to use to make a healing paste?', but thank you," I say.

"No problem..." he mumbles almost inaudibly.

I throw the covers back and go to stand but I have no balance and almost fall over but Pan manages to catch me before I tumble to the floor. He helps me sit back on the bed.

"The sleeping spell should have worn off...is there something else wrong?" Pan asks.

"I...I don't know...I felt a pain in my back..." I say and sit further back on the bed, then feel a twinge down my spine, "Ow..." I groan and wince.

"Let me have a look," Pan says.

"Excuse me?"

"Let me see what's going on," he demands.

"Fine," I agree and turn around.

I move my hair to the side, and his cold fingers shock me.

"Sorry," he mumbles.

His cold hands touch my back again, and my muscles relax. Pan is the only person, other than my parents, to see my scars, so this is a little bit odd for me. Even though the scars have healed, they're still sensitive when others touch them. They're a reminder that I deserve better than ending up in Davy Jones' locker. Pan's hand touches the scar that leads from the nape of my neck and it relieves the pain I feel.

"Is this scar supposed to burn?" He asks.

"No..." I reply, frowning.

He stands and retrieves a wooden bowl from my bookshelf, and when he returns I see the same paste that covers my hand. Pan scoops some up and slowly applies it to my scar. I instantly feel the pain lessen.

"That seems to be working," I say.

"It should do. I didn't send the Lost Boys scavenging around the island for something that doesn't work," Pan says.

"Very funny, but I don't know what's wrong. This is the first time it's hurt since...well, since I got it...but that's a story for another day," I reply, turning back around to face him.

"Is it courtesy of Davy Jones?"

"Unfortunately."

"Maybe that's why," Pan says and I frown. "Davy Jones' backup plan, just in case something happened to the Black Spot,"

"Sounds about right," I say.

"Do you want any food? I'm sure you're hungry after all of this," Pan offers.