Chapter 7 - Lost and Found

~ Pan

I set her sleeping form down on her bed and cover her with a blanket; I look at her peaceful face, covered by a few strands of her hair. I'm suddenly overcome by an urge to brush it away - I reach out, and my fingers lightly push away the dark curl. Instantly, her beautiful face is revealed. What has she been through for her to act that way? For a few stretched out moments, I can't take my eyes off of her and I'm entranced...and then the Lost Boys start shouting.

I appear in the campsite and they all stop abruptly. "Felix! What is going on?" I demand.

"I don't know, ask those two," he says and points to two of the teenage boys.

I stroll over to them and raise an eyebrow, "Care to explain?"

They both looked down nervously, and then the blond-haired one speaks up. "He stole my knife."

"That's a lie!" The other one protests.

"You did! You just wanted it because it's better than yours and to impress Davina!" The blond one yells.

I sigh in exasperation and then wave my hand so they both go mute. "Now, I suggest you give him the knife back and you leave it alone, or would you both like to spend a night with the shadows?" I offer.

They shake their heads furiously and the matter is resolved.

All at once, just like every night, the sky turns to the inky blue and the campfire roars to life. All of the Lost Boys cheer and I have to get them to quieten down again. "Boys! I have some good news. Tonight, we go back to the mainland and we find some more to join us, I think we're a little low in numbers and we need some more company...and there's one in particular who I think we'll all appreciate the presence of," I announce.

They all cheer again and then disperse to collect whatever they take on each journey. I check on Davina again and cast a sleeping spell on her, so she won't wake up while we're gone. She shifts momentarily and then settles as the spell sets in place.

I meet the Boys on the shore, with four boats prepared; they hop in, and we make our way to the border of Neverland - it's a dome, only visible to those who possess magic. I sprinkle some pixie dust into the ocean and the portal begins to swirl a vibrant green, mixing with the grey-blue hues of the ocean. I wait until it reaches its maximum size, waving my arm at the Boys behind me to follow as the boat tips forward and falls into the portal. The light beaming from the magic, and the velocity of wind as we travel through the portal is blinding, forcing us to shield our eyes. We arrive on the other side, bursting through the surface of the water just a few hundred yards away from the town. The clock strikes midnight just as we arrive at the docks.

"Right boys, find a spot, I need to go and check on something," I instruct and they begin their search.

I pull up the hood of my cloak and blend into the shadows. I check the bedrooms of houses by peering through the windows to see possible Lost Boys asleep and unaware, hopping across roofs silently, peering in upside down, swinging across balconette. I finally find the house I'm looking for - the home of Rumpelstiltskin, and his only son, Baelfire. I sit on the roof, take my pipe out of my cloak and begin the tune. Just as I expected, boys begin climbing out of their windows and head towards the orange glow not too far away from the docks. I run across the roofs, following the stream of new recruits as they are pulled by the sound of my music, and the Lost Boys' hollering. I join the Lost Boys at the campfire, and as they all follow the sound of my music, I spot Baelfire amongst them. I jump down, blending in with the dancing boys, all wearing masks resembling animals.

Not long after, Rumpelstiltskin comes looking, frantic, worried. Just as I hoped.

"Bae!" He yells over and over again while I continue to play. I feel his eyes rest on me from across the flames; he appears in front of me and snatches my pipes away. "Where's my son, Piper?" He spits as he snaps the pipes in half.

"So that's what they're calling me?" I ask. As I pull down my hood, his face drops, "We both know who I really am," I add. He can't hide his fear well enough and it amuses me. I scoff, smirking at his shock and the fear in his eyes. "Been a long time, laddie," I say, "glad you could make the show."

As the Lost Boys and the village boys danced around the fire, I spend my time talking to Rumpelstiltskin, or more at him...he's rendered incapable of responding. "Surprised to see me, Rumple? Well, I don't blame you, I'm a little surprised myself," I look him up and down, "well look who's all grown up and become the Dark One... good for you."

"What are you doing here?" He asks, eyes still wide, watching my every move.

"It was lonely in Neverland...we thought it was time to...expand," I reply.

"You're here for my son," he realises, speaking through gritted teeth.

"I am," I admit with a sigh.

"It's going to take a lot more than a magic pipe to take my son," he threatens.

"The only thing magic about this pipe...is that only certain boys can hear it - boys who feel unloved, boys who feel lost, so he's where he belongs."

"You can call him whatever you like, Baelfire will not be part of it."

"Oh he's already a part of it...question is, what are you willing to do to get him back?"

"I'm going to make you regret ever asking that question," he threatens again.

"Oh, I understand you're upset," I mock. "Most parents' worst fear is that their child will be taken away from them, but that's not yours, is it Rumple? No...you're not afraid Baelfire will be taken from you, you're afraid he'll leave. After all, being abandoned is what you're good at, isn't it? Everyone you have ever known has left, haven't they? Like Bae's mother, Mila...not to mention your own father...why should Baelfire be any different?-"

"You're wrong," he denies.

"Am I? Well let's find out, shall we? You ask Baelfire if he wants to come to Neverland with me, or stay here with you. If he wants to stay, I'll leave him in return...Deal?" I reply.

"I don't have to make any deals with you," he says, backing away.

"But why wouldn't you? If you're so sure he'll stay-" Before I can finish, he grabs Baelfire and is gone. "That was a big mistake Rumple...he'll come to Neverland and you won't even know," I call out, knowing he can hear me, "Come on boys, take the new ones to the boats and clear up this mess, we're going home."

While they clear away any evidence of us being here, I set the course in motion for Baelfire to end up in Neverland. Sometimes, all they need is a little nudge, a little subconscious push. Fate doesn't have to be completely autonomous to itself.

The village boys are in awe all the way to Neverland, but still entranced by the music; through the whole boat journey, they look around, unspeaking, mouthes agape and eyes wide. The Lost Boys mock them, not that they know or realise. I leave them all to get settled in once we arrive at the cabin, while I check on Davina, who is still asleep and unaware...for now. She'll notice that the number of Lost Boys has increased. Honestly, I don't care, she'll find out what I need her to do soon, and she will have to return afterwards anyway.