Chapter 11 - The Curse

~ Davina

Snow, Charming, the Dwarves, the Lost Boys and I slip into the palace grounds while the guards swap positions; my hood is raised, my face disguised and almost invisible in the dark, even more so under the black material. We crouch by the door as we wait for the current group of guards to move.

"Snow..." I whisper to get her attention. "We'll rescue your friend first - that's the easy part, I've done it before. Then, we'll get my map."

She nods and the passes the plan on to the others, while I tell the Lost Boys. We wait for a long time, and in this instance, I don't have time - just another reminder of my imprisonment on Neverland. No bloody time.

"We need to get a move on," I whisper to Snow. "We should just shoot them with arrows."

"No! That'll just attract attention, which we definitely don't need," she protests.

"Not if we do it my way. Watch my hands, I'm going to count down from ten, when I get to two, shoot them," I say.

"Davina!" Snow whispers, but I'm already on the move.

I saunter straight up to the guards on duty, my hands behind my back and counting down. "Excuse me, gentlemen, could you direct me to where the Queen currently is, please?" I ask confidently.

"What? How did you get in here? Who are you?" He asks. I roll my eyes at his pointless questions.

Five seconds.

I shrug, "Just someone with faster reflexes than you," I say as I get to two seconds.

"Huh?" They say in synchronisation and turn to each other.

I drop to the ground, palms pressed to the cobblestones, ready to jump up again, as several arrows fly through the air from behind me and hit them where their black armour doesn't cover them. I wave everyone over as soon as they're down, and remove the arrows, cleaning them with the corner of my cloak.

"Help me put them in a seated position," I say.

The Dwarves and Charming move the two guards to sit against the wall to mask that they're dead. At first glance, they look like they're just resting.

"Lead the way Snow," I say.

She nods and we begin our journey through the palace, knocking out several guards without causing too much disruption. As we come to the cells, Snow asks me a question, "How do you know how to do this?"

"Pirate life. I've done this countless times, broke a crew member out for the first time when I was ten, no one even noticed," I reply. "So, who's your friend?"

"Red Riding Hood. She took my place a few weeks ago so I could save a village from the Queen's magic, now we're rescuing her."

"So...the one over there with the red cloak on?" I say, nodding to a figure in a cell a few feet away. Snow confirms, which makes my plan a lot easier.

I observe the area - only two guards. The guard closest to us possesses the keys and the one further away is oblivious to our presence.

"Wait here...." I order and make my way over to him. "Hello there," I greet as I walk over.

Before his brain can process the situation, I bash his head against the wall, knocking him out cold; I drag him further down the corridor to give us some more time and then wander down casually to the key-keeper.

"Excuse me, but your fellow guard over there appears to be hurt. The Queen has zero tolerance for slacking today, so you may need to go help him," I say with my hood up and head down.