Chapter 15 - Secrets and Beliefs

~ Davina

I wait for Henry outside of his school, watching the other kids meet their parents while standing well out of the way. I fall into a small daydream for a little while, but someone saying my name and tapping me on the shoulder wakes me up. It's Sn- Miss Blanchard.

"Hi...Davina, was it?" She says, and I nod.

"You're Miss Blanchard, right?"

"Please, call me Mary Margaret, only the kids call me Miss Blanchard," she says.

"Okay..." I reply awkwardly.

"Are you okay? Did I do something?" She asks, suddenly worried.

"What? Oh, no, you just...really remind me of someone..." I say.

"Snow White, by any chance?"

"What?" I blurt out, panicking, but also hoping that she remembers.

"Don't worry, I get it from Henry all of the time. It's because of the book," she answers, completely calmly.

"You know about the book?"

"I gave it to him. When he needed it the most, it almost...appeared...and he hasn't parted with it since."

"What do you think about Henry's...thing...with everyone being the characters?" I ask out of curiosity.

"I think he's a young boy with a big imagination and just needs someone to share that with. So far, he hasn't had any luck."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, Regina makes him see a therapist and Emma...hasn't mothered him for ten years, she's going to find it difficult to adapt to supporting such a bright, young boy."

"Well, there's nothing to worry about when it comes to me. My imagination has no boundaries...what's the point?" I reply.

She grins and we chat for a while. I ask her a lot of questions about the town and the school, and she answers happily. But, when half an hour passes, I'm worried.

"Sorry to change the subject, but have you seen Henry?" I ask.

"Oh, yeah, Emma picked him up. She always does on this day."

"Oh, I didn't know that. Thank you for letting me know."

"They'll be in Granny's if you still want to see him," she says, smiling.

I nod, she hugs me and we part ways. I make my way to Granny's – I want to speak to Emma.

- - -

The bell above the door of Granny's diner rings and a few heads look up to see who it is, and then return to either their conversations or their food. I scan the diner to see Henry and his mother sitting in a booth with hot chocolate. I compose myself, trying to leave any pretences behind me, and confidently stride over to them.

"Hi, Henry," I greet. "Hello, Emma."

"Hi, Davina," Henry replies with a big smile. "Here, sit next to me" and he slides over a seat so I can join him.

"Thank you," I say and sit down.

"So what brings you here Davina? Today's not your day to look after me," Henry asks.

"I just wanted to let you know that I got a job and I was wondering if you could tell Regina."

"Congrats! Where are you working?" he exclaims.

"At the docks."

"What will you be doing there?" Emma interjects.

"Just keeping boats intact, diving down to get lost objects, helping out in the shop," I answer.