Chapter 25 - Reunited

~ Davina

I make my way down to the camp, ready to eat some proper food rather than fish caught from the river. It was so nice to sleep in an actual bed. Before, I wasn't so bothered, but after a year of living in a house with a bed that doesn't rock side to side or leave me with splinters, it's my luxury. I have my arrows and bow that Bobby and Ricky made me from last time, wanting to practice my shooting at some point. I walk out, and I see that most of the Boys have dispersed to do their daily duties, but some still remain, repairing their spears or arrows or making new ones. My eyes scan over the camp, and I'm suddenly filled with rage as I remember Henry's attitude last night, what his decision is and how much Pan has already manipulated him and now, this. Pan's sitting with Henry, talking to him quietly with his hand on his shoulder and eye contact. I can't believe I thought Pan was being serious. I storm over, standing over them with my arms crossed.

"Pan, can I speak to you? Now?" I say, raising an eyebrow.

"Sorry, Henry, I'll have to leave you. Our special guest is being needy," he replies, smirking as he raises an eyebrow at me.

I roll my eyes, "You're the one who was, and is, desperate to keep me here."

Pan stands, and before he can comment back, I return to the clearing we were in yesterday, and I hear him follow behind me.

Without looking at him, I begin speaking, "I figured out how you know about everything that goes on here," I turn and glare at him, "your second face tells you everything."

"Excuse me?" He asks, his eyebrows morphing into a confused expression.

"I should have known that two-faced is part of your personality, on top of everything else."

"Are you planning on clarifying?"

"I know about the prophecies. I know that you need Henry, or rather, his heart. Or how was it the shadow put it?...The Heart of the Truest Believer?"

"And? I'm not surprised you know about them. You were bound to find out eventually."

"Not the point. You never even intended for that deal to mean anything. You may have said you'd leave Henry, but my conversation with him showed me how you've already manipulated him into saving you," I say, poking him in the chest, "Did you even consider another way?"

"There is no other way!" He shouts.

"There always is! God, you are so arrogant and glib!" I yell back. I'm surprised I haven't used my sword yet.

"You don't understand, Davina—"

"No. I should have never even thought about trusting you!" I interrupt.

As I turn, Pan huffs. I can just picture him almost speaking. But I don't turn around. I keep walking.

I walk with no destination. I just walk, fuming. I hack with unnecessary force at the overgrowth, only becoming more frustrated when the bushes don't cut at the first swipe. When a branch takes several hacks, I scream, and I almost fall forward when the branch breaks. I have to catch my breath. I calm myself down, closing my eyes and taking a few deep breaths. When I open my eyes again, I realise where I am.

The waterfall.

I didn't even notice that I'd just climbed up an almost vertical hill and ended up at the top of the cliff. Or, as it's charmingly named, Dead Man's Peak. I walk over to where the entrance should be, seeing that it's even more overgrown than before. I remember my plan, and decided to go through with it. Screw Pan. I was going to tell him my idea, but he lost the tiniest shred of trust I had. Cutting through the weeds would take too long, but luckily for me, I have an alternative. I create a ball of fire in my palm, also realising that Pan doesn't know I have magic before throwing it through, creating a clean path to the waterfall. I don't have anything to put the water in, so I procure another small glass vial with a cork top and walk through. The burnt dreamshade gives off a vile smell, but it doesn't last long when I enter the waterfall cove. It's the most peaceful place on the island. I listen to the water colliding, revelling in it; I bend down, and hold the vial under the waterfall until it's full. I press the cork in, and tie some string around it, and create a big enough loop so I can wear it around my neck. I'll drink it as soon as Henry's off the island and the others aren't in danger of Davy Jones. The vial hides under my corset, it's icy coldness pressing against my chest. With the dreamshade in my boot and the water around my neck, I feel like I have some kind of advantage over everyone. Now that I have what I need, I just need to plan how to convince Pan to leave Henry alone. Just as I'm about to make my descent, something swoops overhead. I duck and look up. It's the Shadow. It swoops again, narrowly missing my hood. While I can, I break into a sprint straight into the jungle. It follows me, and I jump over roots and duck under branches, my exposed skin getting scratched by twigs and holly leaves. I keep running, and I never look back or stop to catch my breath. I just keep going. I slow down for a moment, just to regain the balance I almost lost, which lets the Shadow make a grab for me, but I duck, and it's fingers just brush the back of my neck. I look up for a moment and see two or three more Shadows swooping down. I keep running, turning a corner to head into a section of the jungle where the trees are thicker, which makes it harder for both them and me to run. I have to dodge far more than I expected, and I stumble on an unseen tree root, falling and rolling across the leafy ground, and as soon as I start to slow, I roll up to stand. I get a brief glance that I've gained distance, and I begin running down the slope. When I turn on the flat ground, I collide with something, and I fall down. When I sit up, I see what, or rather, who it is.