Chapter 33 - Arcadia

~ Davina

We look up as the spires of volcanic rock stretch above us, sailing between the two that resemble an entrance. Slowly, the ship comes to a stop and the anchor drops. There's a slight wind stream between the spires, making my hair fly around my head in wisps. The Dutchman rocks slightly as the anchor hits the bottom.

"If you wouldn't mind, I need some privacy. I have to change my clothes," I say to Jones, "You'll have to untie me from the mast."

As soon as I put them on the direct course to the Elixir, I was bound to the mast and forced to stay like that until we reached this location. I raise my eyebrow while Jones takes his time to examine whether it's a good idea or not to set me somewhat free.

"If you don't, you're not going to get anywhere near that Elixir," I add flatly.

He nods to one of his men, Hadras with the conch-shell shaped head, to untie me. I smile as I wait for the ropes to loosen. As soon as I feel the ropes drop, I push them to the floor and stretch, gritting my teeth against the pain of the still-fresh cuts across my back.

"Quittance! Take her to my quarters and wait outside until she's ready. Make sure she doesn't try to escape," Jones orders.

"I wouldn't even bother this far away from the mainland," I say, rolling my eyes.

When Quittance moves out of the line of crew members, I flinch. He really isn't pleasant to look at, because you can't even tell what sea creature he is. He's a mixture, mainly underwater flora. He follows closely behind me while we walk to Jones' quarters. I step inside the doorframe, and give him a look to say "don't even try to come in" and he turns his back as soon as I shut the door. I take this as an opportunity to look around; there's not much, apart from a bed and some shelves with decaying rum bottles. Right at the back though, there's an organ. I look over it, and next to it, I see a crab-shaped pendant which is tarnished and has dulled with age with a mysterious face is still visible. I open it and it plays a tune...Jones' tune. I press it shut and put it back where I found it. I move to stand in front of Jones' small gold-framed mirror. For the first time, I see my reflection. My clothes are sticky and stained with blood, my hair is matted and full of knots. A bruise covers my left cheekbone, dried blood under my nose and my lip is cut on the corner. I lick my thumb and rub away the dried blood on my face. I sigh. I close my eyes, concentrating as hard as I can and wave my hand. When I open my eyes, my hair is clean and loose, and a white dress covers my body, my wounds sealed. My feet are bare, but that doesn't bother me. I'm numb to all pain now. I take the Siren pendant and clip it around my neck, letting it rest against my chest. It's time.

With a huff, I walk out and Hadras follows behind me as I go to the helm. I walk around the ship, looking for the point that will lead us to the Elixir.

"What's with the fancy dress?" Jones asks.

"The person who leads the journey and is the first to go through the barrier must wear a symbol of purity. White is the purest colour," I reply, still walking along the length of the ship. Or rather, purest shade.

I know where the point is. I cross from Port to Starboard, just a little to the left of the plank, and climb up onto the edge. I turn so my back faces the water, and the crew instantly draw their weapons.

"What are you doing?" Jones asks. So many bloody questions.

"You really think this place is the entrance to the Elixir?" I ask and chuckle, "No, you have to let go and swim," I say.

I spread my arms out to the side, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath, and let myself fall backwards. The warm air rushes past me, and while I fall, I cast a spell to help me breathe underwater just before I split the smooth ocean surface. I wait a few moments for my body to settle before opening my eyes. I hesitantly breathe out, worried my spell didn't work but am soon relieved that I can breathe just as normally as I can on land. I blink a few times and take in my surroundings. The scenery is even more phenomenal than Neverland's seabed. The colours are far more vivid, there's more wildlife, more...magic. It's no surprise. This is sacred, untouched land. Only my family know where to go. Suddenly, there are several muffled crashes around me, and I see Jones and a few crew members. They're shocked by the landscape too despite being part of it. Jones looks at me, and I nod in the direction we need to go. I push on, swimming straight before weaving through the smaller spires until we reach the narrower area. We swim in single file, squeezing through the gaps between the volcanic rock as carefully as possible until we come to an open expanse. I wave for Jones and his crew to join me by my side; Jones frowns at me and goes to touch his sword when he sees there's nothing in front of us, but I put my finger up to stop him.