CHAPTER XXI

He stood beside me on the bed. This time, he finally calmed down.

His hand was still holding mine, like if he ever tries to let go, I'd try my best to run away from him. Holding my hand is his peace of mind, and I'm happy at how simple his happiness is.

I want to break the news so bad to him. Part of me saying that he needs to find out, if he doesn't, because he is the father of my child. He deserves to know.

But because of the breakdown earlier, I think Jiang Chen has had enough emotional tribulations to entertain another one if I reveal my pregnancy to him. I can't afford to jeopardize his well-being again for the meantime.

His peace is in my arms. I don't want to take that away from him.

We did not move an inch from our position. The silence was tranquil and I think this is what we both need right now; a break from everything around us.

With heavy eyes, I slept on Jiang Chen's shoulder.

It was already night-time when I woke up from my sleep. The chair beside me where Jiang Chen sits was vacant. The yellow dim light of the nightlight beside me was the only source of brightness in my room. I looked at the table on my right and saw that there was a tray of food on top of it. I must've slept past the dinner time.

My stomach rumbled. It dawned on me when I remembered that I skipped my dinner and my baby is probably hungry right now!

I took the bed table and put all the containers on top of it. I never really liked sushi but I couldn't complain because I feel too weak to even go downstairs.

I quietly ate my dinner. It was cold by the time it entered my mouth.

I finished the meal and went to the bathroom to shower before I sleep again. The clock on top of the wall across my bed showed that it was already half past 12.

I brushed my teeth and showered before going back to bed, to sleep again. A funny thought crossed my mind that maybe the reason I woke up late at night was because my baby is telling me that it was hungry. I was guilty for the thought.

Several minutes passed and I found myself changing positions every now and then in the bed. I was uncomfortable all throughout. The sleepiness was gone and I had no choice but to lay flat and face the ceiling fan above. My body wants to rest, I can feel it, but my mind is wandering somewhere else.

Since I can't sleep anyway, I might as well go to Jiang Chen's office.

I fixed my clothes to ready myself to stroll to Jiang Chen's office. I've been to his office many times so I know where to go like the back of my hand. His office is located the topmost part of the hospital at the east along with the director.

The hospital was silent all throughout my walk. It's 12 in the evening so I assume everyone, including the clerks, are sleeping. My room is at the second floor and Jiang Chen's office is four stores above mine.

I'm naturally a scaredy-cat, but walking alone in this gloomy path in the hospital surprised me how I was able to finish walking without any hint of fear. I used to be scared of moments like this because of the movies I've seen, where the ghost walks alone at night and scare those who are awake.

It took me five minutes to finally reach Jiang Chen's floor. Unlike the floors below, the topmost floor is well-lit. The floors below had a gloomier lighting because of the dim lights while the lights in here are very bright.

I took a turn to where Jiang Chen's office is. His office has a glass door that doesn't let you see the inside of the room, but in turn he can.

I knocked the door but no one answered.