CHAPTER XVII: UNEXPECTED

Jiang Chen's POV

I went inside the hospital room at breakneck speed after hearing rattles from the devices in the hospital.

And there, I saw Xiaoxi crying hysterically, slapping her face and pulling her hair recklessly. She was crying so painfully that even you could feel it. Her eyes were drenched and became sore from all the excessive sobbing, and her face was filled with bruises and scratches that became an effect after slapping and scratching herself. She was hurting so bad that I thought to myself that is isn't the Xiaoxi I know. The Xiaoxi I know would never hurt himself, never.

When she opened her eyes, she stared at me in complete silence. Her eyes will tell you she's been through a lot.

Seeing her in this state also makes me wanna cry, but I shouldn't. I need to show Xiaoxi that there is nothing to be feared of with her state, and that it is okay.

But seeing her like this, Tears fell from my eyes unknowingly.

I cried in front of him. This is the first time someone saw me in a vulnerable state. No one ever saw me crying, nor did anyone saw me in pain. And there's the stereotype everyone would think that I don't have any feelings at all, that I was just a cold-hearted, timid, and heartless person. But Xiaoxi knew that I wasn't those.

I hurriedly went to her and hugged her with the tightest embrace. Xiaoxi was still, with her head resting on my shoulders.

"Why did you do that? Do you really like to hurt yourself? Especially in this state?!" I questioned her with an angry tone.

She looked up to me silent as ever.

"I'm tired. I-I don't know what's happening— I— is this a dream? Am I in a dream?! No— I—" Xiaoxi said hysterically.

I kept on hugging and cupped her head with my palm. She became calm as I kissed her softly on her forehead and patted on her back. She cried silently as she was hugging me tighter.

"Chen, I want you to be honest with me. Tell me everything that happened within my four days of coma. Tell me." She looked at me with a straight eye.

I'm hesitating to tell her. I could tell her other things but not everything. Many things happened, and these are the things Xiaoxi would not like to hear, because it would be too much for her to handle.

"Your comic books are selling poorly."

Liar. A big lie. Her comic books are not the only one that is putting her life in hell right now. No.

Other from the fact that her comic books are in a disgrace, her mom is confined due to hypertension, Xiaoxi's health is at the tightrope, and most of all, she had a miscarriage.

At first, I thought I ran into a medical error. I was the one who checked on Xiaoxi from time to time. I was the one who medicated her and looked after her while she was asleep. I was the one who prayed for her recovery.

When she was brought to the Intensive Care Unit, the doctors found blood in her underwear. At first, we thought it was menstruation, or hemorrhage, but as the doctors examined the "blood", it turned out it wasn't menstrual blood, it was maternal blood.

I was shocked. Xiaoxi was pregnant for about weeks now. But she never told me.

Or maybe Xiaoxi don't know she is pregnant after all, and I do hope that it stays that way, so I can keep this away from her.

"Liar."

Xiaoxi said quietly.

I'll do the best I can do to keep this hurtful situation away from her, because I'm sure it will affect greatly. I'll never ever let Xiaoxi know about this.

next chapter will be longer! It will be available in 2 hours! Hang tight!