CHAPTER VII: Stay, Jiang Chen

*Jiang Chen's POV*

Xiaoxi really knows how to make me smile. I really wanted to kiss her so badly in the car, but then I thought that I should just save it for later. I don't want her to be dazed from my kiss and from the wine that she'll be drinking later.

Chen Xiaoxi is holding my hand as I was driving. Her hands were pale and cold. She was shivering from the car's temperature, so I turned off the air conditioner and gave her the scarf she knitted back in middle school.

I handed it to her as I was driving and she was surprised because I still kept it even if she gave it like a decade ago.

I took care of the scarf she gave me more than anything else I had. When we broke up, I thought of burning the scarf or throwing it at the river, but I couldn't. It was the only possesion I had from Xiaoxi.

Xiaoxi wore the scarf and rolled it around her neck. She kept on shivering even if the car's airconditoner was turned off, so I took the thermometer and checked her body temperature. She is having a high fever. Her body temperature is going abnormally, she sweats even if it's cold, and vice-versa. I hugged her tighter and made her drink water. She keeps on perspiring too much. We have to call the celebration off.

After calling Situ Mo who was already at the KTV Bar, I drove back and brought Xiaoxi back to our house. As a doctor, this is the first time I felt very anxious towards someone who is having an illness, maybe because it's Xiaoxi who I will be taking care now.

Carrying her to the bedroom was a lot harder than I thought, because she gained a lot of weight these couple of months. I hurriedly brought her to the bedroom and changed her clothes. She was closing her eyes while having her arms crossed to prevent shivering too much. The sweat coming out from her skin was very sticky, and the air that she was exhaling was warm. She held my hand and said, "You'll be late for work, go on, I can take care of myself."

I held her hand tighter.

"No. I'm staying with you. You need someone to look after you especially now that you are ill. I'll talk to the director and ask for permission to leave for tonight." I explained.

"But you have a surgery to do, go on, I know how to take care of myself." She insisted.

"I have left you all alone for years. I wasn't there when you got ill, but you were there for me when I was. What is the point of being a doctor if I can't help people who are in need of medication? What is the point of being a husband if he can do nothing for his wife?"

She kept silent. I washed her face with a damp cloth. She opened her eyes a bit and caress my cheek. Her smile made my smile come out.

"I'll be sleeping on the couch. I'll check you from time to time, so you don't need to worry." I told her.

As I was about the leave, she pulled my hands and demanded that I need to sleep with her. She said she couldn't bare to blow the chance of her sleeping together with me because I always make sleep alone. I could no longer argue, because she is right. I tucked her to sleep and kissed her on the forehead. I hugged her while sleeping and held her hand, finger by finger. She felt at ease knowing I am with her. We slept soundly and didn't want to wake anymore.

---

"Jiang Chen, Jiang Chen--"

I woke up after I heard Xiaoxi calling my name, I thought she was feeling too ill, but turns out she was just talking in her dream.

"Don't leave Jiang Chen, stay with me, please." she murmured.

She was holding my hand with great force, even though she is asleep. I could feel the tears dropping from her eyes to my neck.

"No, I won't leave." I said to her while patting her back to sleep.

She fell back asleep and became silent. When I checked the alarm clock, it was 4 in the morning. Xiaoxi is getting better, her fever is already wearing off, her temperature is going back to normal. Finally, she is okay.

I went back to bed with a smile on my face. Finally, I did one thing I haven't done to Xiaoxi long ago. There's this feeling of acomplishmet that is really getting me right now.

*Chen Xiaoxi's POV*

I woke with a damp cloth on top of my forehead. My body is covered with the thickest clothes in the closet, and especially, Jiang Chen is here with me the whole night, taking care of me.

Jiang Chen's tight embrace really felt satisfying. It was like a hug that was that will last for a thousand years. His hand holding mine was everything I wanted from him.

As I was looking at him while sleeping, I could tell he was really anxious about last night. This is the first time he took care of me. This is the first time he stood all night to watch me. This is the first time.

But there was a little bit of guilt inside of me. What if he loses his job after not attending to such important person?

He moved his body away from mine leaned to the other side. I quickly hugged him and kissed him on the lips and greeted good morning, and said that I was fine, thanks to him. He just grinned and kissed me back.

I talked about the consequences of him not taking care of the Senator, but he said there was nothing to worry about because the Senator was admitted to another hospital in New York. He also said that he will ask for a leave for about a month or two just to be with me, but I disagreed.

"There's no need to do that. I know how important this is to you and I don't want to be the cause of you regretting in the future." I told him.

"I'm not resigning, I'm just taking a leave. I haven't used my leave since 2 years, maybe this is the perfect time to spend it." he said while running his fingers through his hair, which made him look so goddamn attractive.

When the morning sunlight glared at him through the window, I thought I saw an angel. The sunlight complimented her face, making it look radiant.

I was dazed for a moment but snapped out after Jiang Chen fixed my hair.

"I think this is not the perfect time to spend your leave. I don't want to put any pressure on you. Yes, I miss you whenever you leave, but maybe give it some time, and I'll get used to it." I told him.

"I know when to spend it, when you give birth to our baby. In that way, I will be able to take care of our child." he teased while patting my tummy.

"Bastard."

We both got up from bed and cooked food for breakfast.