CHAPTER XVI: STACKED MEMORIES

Chen Xiaoxi's POV

Well, who knows that within days of being happy from being married and loved would unexpectedly lead me to this? In this room, a depressing room, that is triggering me into thinking many thoughts.

Honestly, no one expected that my life would be in this line. My life is at stake. Who knew that the once cheerful and healthy Xiaoxi would end up in a hospital room with needles injected in her hands, silently praying everything will be alright. Absolutely no one.

As I was lying in my bed and hearing the hospital devices make their own sounds, I was thinking a lot of things.

Did Chen accepted the offer?
Is my family alright?
Am I pregnant?

These thoughts are adding up more and more as I try to not think of them. And when they stack up and become harder for me to handle, my head would just feel a pain in my head.

Tears fell from my eyes unknowingly. My gown was drenched with tears carrying the weight of a thousand uncertainties.

As far as I can remember, I was taking care of my body even if I always go in restaurants. Yes, Jiang Chen would buy any food at my will, but I was still keeping an eye on my health diet.

Flashback to my last memory.

Jiang Chen's mom is at the kitchen having a deep conversations with him. Same things. Job and opportunities. But from hearing in their conversations, Jiang Chen seems to be not interested with her mom's offer, no matter how her mom begs for him to go.

Deep inside, I was happy by how Jiang Chen is willing to reject offers that I know was his biggest dream in order to just be with me. There, I knew that he really does love me. Not the love that I thought he was gonna give, but the love that I was not expecting. We all know how Chen likes to be alone and be silent as ever. Back then, he doesn't seem to care about anyone or anything, and if there's one person whom he will follow and help, it would be himself. So seeing him in this situation, being brave and sacrificial, really makes me think that Chen really changed, and that's what I have been praying for since the beginning.

I'm here at the sink washing the champagne glasses that we will use later. These champagne glasses are the most expensive utensils to inhabit this house, next to the refrigerator. These glasses aren't just the regular ones, these were bought from Australia. Jiang Chen had a medical session in Sydney, and Jiang Chen knew that it would be funny to give me these (since he knows I'm horrible at drinking). However, this didn't become funny at all, as this was a huge waste of his money, and there wouldn't be an occasion that needs these things. And if this was about for our special dates or whatever, these wouldn't come in handy since there wouldn't be no time available for him to have a date with me.

stomach rumbles

What's this odd feeling? My stomach just rumbled out of the blue. I laid my hands on my stomach because that single rumble was too painful. I crouched my stomach to block the pain but all it did was make it worse.

My vision is spinning. The room is turning.

I held on to the counter to support my body which was about to fall on the cold floor. My knees were trembling and I could feel and hear my mouth grasping for air. My hands couldn't maintain a decent clutch for my nerves in this state were irresponsive.

What's happening to me?

I was about to fall when I heard a sentence coming from my mother in law. And all I heard was "that dumb girl" which I surely know refers to me.

end of flashback

After having these memories replay, I just became even more sad and depressed.

I slapped my face with my needle-injected hand, which cause all the devices to rattle and disfunction. I was so angry at myself that I kept on hitting myself as my tears were streaming that no one could stop.

"Chen Xiaoxi, stop!"

And as I fixed my hair that was covering my bruised face, I saw Chen with tears on his eyes standing at the door.