Chapter Three

Dear Diary 

September 2nd, 2012

Nathan never talked to me since the party, and Matt and Tristan have been acting strange, like they were always on their toes around me. I want things to go back to normal, it's like I'm being treated like a girl, and not one of the guys. That's not the way I like it. I like how we never fight, we deal with our problems, I like how everything seems so easy, like there's no drama. There has never been a problem, other then the many times I've almost died.

I had to stop thinking about all this, I had to start moving on, start living, I was cancer free, and I knew it was going to stay that way. Today was my junior year and I was going to enjoy it. So, I slung my legs over the edge of the bed and got up looking out the window at the sun shining in. I went over to the mirror and combed my hair, so it fell in nice waves.

I heard a knock on the door, and I opened it knowing it was Matt to see if I was awake yet. He peered in and then left me to get dressed. I looked through my closet and found light pink skinny jeans. My shirt had horses on the front and in bold letters it said RUN WILD.

Matt was waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs and Mom was in the kitchen making her lunch. "How do you feel?" I was tired and stressed about the first day of school, so I shrugged but I knew that was just leading up to more questions. He didn't ask though, but I knew it was on the tip of his tongue. I skipped breakfast that morning, but no one noticed, Matt was busy packing his bag and Mom was walking out the door.

We arrived at school, and I saw Reese, Tristan and Nathan waiting by the front door. I saw Logan standing across the parking lot leaning against the side wall, smoking what was probably weed. He was smirking at me which sent shivers down my spine but not in a good way.

Matt shot me a glance, but I'm not sure what it meant. He looked almost mad but then seemed to calm down when we got over to the guys. Nathan came over to me and looked at me with a smile, but he didn't speak. I really wanted him to say something, but it was too late, Ciara, my best friend joined us. She had light brown hair that went halfway down her back. It looked so much better than mine, mine was short and fine, it had gotten that way over the years.

"Hey Darcy. I hope we have some classes together." She piped and took out her schedule comparing it to mine. "Yay, we have 5th and lunch together." I looked to Nathan and thought about asking him what he had, so I went for it.

"Nathan what do you have?" I asked and he pulled you a crumpled piece of paper from his pocket. "We have 7th period together it's music..." I never sang or played in front of anyone and that got me nervous. Matt touched my shoulder and I covered up my hesitation. "Um... They combine the 11's and 12's together for art, music and drama." I tried to smile but I wasn't sure if it was fake or not, although Nathan didn't say anything.

"Hey Darcy catch." Tristan yelled and gave me an apple. My stomach growled and I knew I was hungry. I gave him a smile that said 'thank you' as we walked into the building. There were so many students around us, and I looked at my locker number and waked away from the group to find it. Standing next to me was a guy who was wearing sunglasses and carrying a blue, white, and red cane.

He was blind and new here; I knew that because I hadn't seen him before. He was fiddling with his lock but there was no way he was going to get it open. I hated speaking out, but I couldn't just stand there and do nothing. "Here let me help." I said and looked at his combination and I opened it a second later.

"Man, you made that seem so easy. I'm Keegan." He grabbed books from his locker and then handed me his schedule. "Would you mind showing me where my class is?" He asked looking towards me and at first, I shook my head but then I realized he couldn't see that.