Chapter Four

Dear Diary

September 9th 2012

I've been avoiding Tristan as much as possible, it's been hard because he's at our house 24/7. I walked through the school doors and Ciara caught up with me. "Ok so Reese and I were thinking, well I was thinking, we should go on a double date! You, me, Reese and Nathan." I stated at her like she was crazy and when I was just about to answer she stopped me. "Ok great! I'll set it up for this Friday and you better come."

I walked through the hall on my way to find Matt for lunch when I spotted Skye, we met five years ago at the hospital when I still had cancer and her boyfriend had just started chemotherapy for Gastric (stomach) cancer. I ran up to her and tapped on her shoulder. She looked tired. "Hey, what are you doing here? How's Ryan?"

"I transferred here since Ryan got transferred to the nearest hospital. He's good his cancer is almost gone, the doctors say there's a good prognosis. It's hard though, but I love him so I'll stand by him." I nodded and smiled. "How are you?" She asked and I was thinking about lying but then I realized that was a bad idea.

"I've had some symptoms, it might be back but I don't know, it could be just stress. I had a fever last week and I didn't feel like eating at all." I took a deep breath. "You know, Ryan is lucky to have you by his side." She looked at me and I looked down at the ground. I couldn't bring myself to smile but I brought myself to change the subject. "On a different note, this guy Nathan and I are sort of going on a date, I think."

Skye gasped and then stopped us in our tracks. "Does he know about your..." I shook my head no. "You should try and keep it that way until he wants to know more about you, that way he can get to know you." She was right, telling him I had cancer in the past wouldn't be the best idea. "Which one is he?" Skye asked pointing at the guys that were with Matt.

"Brown hair blue eyes, navy blue hoodie. Come on, I'll introduce you to the guys." I took her over and Tristan looked at me asking if I was alright with his eyes but I ignored it. "Guys this is Skye, Skye this is Reese, Dylan, Will, Nathan and James. You already know Matt and Tristan."

After talking for a while Skye and I walked down the hall. "Ryan has chemo soon so I really have to go." She said and I turned around but Skye called me back. "Wait do you want to come?" I raised my eyebrows but then nodded. I didn't want to go back to the hospital where I had been through so much and watched so many kids die. Skye was asking me to for my support so I couldn't say no.

We walked though those big sliding doors and I saw Ryan sitting in a wheel chair being pushed by a nurse. He lit up when he saw her and I suddenly felt a pang of jealously. I wanted someone to be here for me like that when I was sick. "Darcy god girl it's good to see you. Still cancer free I hear, you are a big inspiration around here." Thinking about it made me happy, when I survived cancer two times it gave the sick here hope.

"Ryan it was good to see you, Skye you should come over some time. I'm going to go to the lounge say hi, maybe play a song the usual thing I do here." I hugged him and then walked into the sitting area.

"Darcy!" A little girl screamed. That little girl was another reason I fought so hard to stay alive. Ellie was that little girls name, and she ran to me and hugged my legs. She was no older then 8 and no younger then 6 but I couldn't remember exactly how old she was. "Play a song for me?" She asked sweetly still holding onto me. A guy handed me a guitar, he was cute and obviously had cancer, he wasn't one of the kids siblings.

"Thanks and Ellie you're going to have to let go of me so I can play." I teased and when she did I sat down and she jumped on the couch beside me.