Chapter 4

We step out and the portal closes behind us, Wanda guides me over to small patch of grass near to the Lake but on the opposite side of the Sokovian memorial. I form a raised but basic tombstone. Wanda crouches next to me and carves the words into the stone. "Rest in peace, brother, your sacrifice will never be forgotten" Wanda stands up then breaks down, I pull her into a hug as tears run down my cheeks.

_________________________I look through the time travel reports, the two days after the battle, and see something that catches my eye

I look through the time travel reports, the two days after the battle, and see something that catches my eye. Nat and Clint were still down to go to Vormir, I quickly skim through the rest of the reports and see it is all the same apart from one. That one was from the time travel machine that sent us to Vormir, I sit back in thought. I accidentally caught some of Nat's thoughts yesterday and learned she wanted to retire and everyone to leave her alone but didn't know how that was possible. This could solve that, if I change that final report then when Nat went off grid, everyone would assume she died on Vormir and if anyone looked into it they would get solid 'proof'. I would have to talk to both Nat and Wanda but this could be a way for her to finally find some peace.
_________________________
It's the next day and I stood next to Steve and Thor as Pepper lowered a wreath of flowers onto a lake. It drifts away and I catch a glimpse of the arc reactor before it drifted too far for me to see the words clearly, Tony Stark really did have a heart. I stood looking out on a different part of the lake with Wanda, the funeral had just ended and I couldn't bear looking at Morgan or Pepper. "You know, I wish there was a way– that I could let him know. That we won. We did it."
"He knows– They both do." Wanda assures me and I bring her into a side hug that she reciprocates. "So what are you going to do now?"
"I don't know?" I say truthfully "Go home I guess, maybe start dating. What about you?"
"Find Vision's body, he never wanted to become a weapon and I'll make sure he never will" Wanda answers and I nod in understanding.
"Wanda" she turns to look at me "If I ever become a parent, I'd like you to be the godmother" I say not knowing if we'll meet like this again. She looks at me in shock then happiness "I would to, the same applies to you if I ever have children but I'm not sure I can love anyone else. Vision was the one."
"Keep in touch, I don't want you falling off the grid" I say with a smile.
"I won't, don't worry" Wanda grins back then I see Nat coming towards us.
"Are you sure about this?" I ask one last time.
Wanda nods confidently "Yes, Nat needs this" then she leaves just as Nat reaches me.
"Did I do something?" Nat questions with a confused look at Wanda's retreating figure.
"No, Wanda just wanted to give us some privacy. I have something to tell you." I say and turn to look back at the lake.
"What is it?" Nat stands next to me but keeps her gaze on me.
"The day after the battle I accidently looked into your head and found that you wanted some peace and quiet, you wanted to retire but didn't know how. I might have found a solution." I look up to see Nat's reaction. "All the records still say you and Clint went to Vormir" I take them out of a bag I brought and hand them to her. "I had an idea that you go completely off the grid and rumours begin to spread that you died. You even have a gravestone in a certain location then should anyone look into it all they would find was these reports. I've talked with Wanda and she agrees. You don't have to do this but it was just an idea." I hang my head at Nat's silence before she lets out a sigh.
"I think you're right, I have so many enemies the only way I'm going to find peace is if I 'die'" Nat finally says and I sag in relief. "And no one will know"
"Not unless one of the team spills but I don't think they'll do that" I reassure her.
"Then I'll do it, I might even visit my other family before I retire for good" Nat says contently.
"Other family?"
"All this time I thought I had none, turns out I have two" Nat explains and looks me in the eyes. "I hope you find peace, Avery." I nod "I will, one day" Nat gives me a hug and I give her the bag to put the records in before she walks back to the house with said records.
_________________________
A few hours later, I found myself walking through the little woodland by the house when I see dad, Steve, Sam and Bruce getting ready to take the stones back. I walk over and Steve notices me, giving me a big smile. "Now, remember– You have to return the stones to the exact moment you got them. Or you're gonna open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities." Bruce says as he shuts the case holding the Infinity stones.
"Don't worry, Bruce. Clip all the branches." Steve reassures
"You know, if you want, I can come with you." Sam offers but Steve shakes his head.
"You're a good man, Sam. This one's on me, though"
Steve walks over to dad. "Don't do anything stupid 'till I get back."
"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you." Dad returns before they hug, I just stand there looking at the two. They separate but are still closer than what you'd consider 'friends' to be.
"I'm gonna miss you" Dad admits with a small smile.
"It's gonna be okay, Buck." Steve reassures and they continue staring into each others eyes. I cough really loudly and they both jump and turn to look at me "Oh sorry, got something stuck in my throat" I say whilst rubbing my throat. "Come back to us Steve" I hug his large frame "I don't know what dad would do without you" I whisper then pull back. Steve walks onto the platform; activates his suit and picks up Milnor. Then, after a few more reassurances, Bruce sends Steve back in time.

After five anxious seconds, Steve is brought back this time with a new shield in a bag. "You're back and still looking young?" Dad questions and even I frown as I saw what he was going to do.
"Yeah, I decided to come back. I loved Peggy but she's accepted my death and I've found a family here" Steve explains and smile proudly at him. "But I'm going to try and retire as much as I can. So I'm giving you this" Steve then hands the bag with the shield in it to Sam. I thought it was the perfect choice, I clap my dad on the shoulder then walk away from the scene. Everything seems to have worked out and although it's been hard I'm content.

It's a good thing I was content then because my life was about to get even more fucked up.