Chapter 8

Carlisia breathed heavily as she pushed her body to move against the wind. She had her air pods in her ears with Mattia Cuppeli's Touch flowing through her. Her cellphone was attached to a band on her upper arm. Her hoodie was tied around her waist as she ran in her sport bra and matching pants set that secured some cash in their pocket.

She closed her eyes for a second, ravishing the moment. She wasn't worried she would bump into someone, her surroundings were completely void of people.

What she didn't know was that a battered wolf had been following her ever since she left her house, barely a foot away from her and was listening to everything she was saying very intently.

It was four in the morning and the sun had yet to rise.  She hadn't had much sleep last night. She kept on having the same nightmare over and over again.

Every time she would go to sleep a scene would unfold in front of her. It was as if she was looking at an old movie in black and white unfold before her eyes.

The dream was always of the same day she had fell down the stairs. She would dress then walk down the stairs completely fine. Not tripping at all. Then, she would enter the room by the stairs where everyone was chatting to find Gabriel there attack her.

The dream ends with Gabriel throwing her across the room, his eyes golden.

Carlisia would wake up in a cold sweat every time. She knew she was overthinking things. That man looked scary but he wasn't a beast. Besides, the first time they met was at the café after the entire ordeal.

Carlisia shook her head. She didn't need to think of this.

Perfectly enough, her cell phone rang. She stopped and looked at the ID before quickly receiving.

"Hey Zane." Carlisia said, taking deep breaths as she crouched with her hands on her knees. The wolf growled inwardly, making sure Carlisia wouldn't hear.

Who was this Zane?

"Hey! Why are you breathing so hard?" Zane asked worried.

"I was out for a run." Carlisia finally replied as she stretched her back before crouching down at the pavement, looking at the forest beside her then the one across the road.

"You, running? Since when did you start becoming athletic?" Zane snorted and Carlisia frowned.

"Ha Ha Ha." Carlisia said sarcastically. "Trust me, you might even become religious if you had to live here. God, there is nothing to do. Not knowing people doesn't add to the pros either."

"I doubt anything can ever make me religious." Zane said and Carlisia could almost hear him scowling.

"You've been there for a week or something, how come you haven't made any friends yet." Zane said and Carlisia shrugged.

"I fell from the stairs and bumped my head pretty bad - got stitches, dislocated my wrist. I just got out of bed yesterday." Carlisia replied plainly.

"And you are telling this to me now?! Why didn't you tell me?" Zane growled out and Carlisia sighed.

"I was unconscious. I think that comes in the way of talking?" She joked and Zain sighed.

"How are you feeling now?"

"All good physically. Keep having these weird nightmares actually." She said and Zane wasn't the only one who perked up as the wolf got nearer to listen. If Carlisia looked behind her, she would notice the huge wolf.

The wolf took a deep breath as he listened in.

"Tell me about them."

"Well, my step brothers have this friend. I mean, I don't even understand how they know him because that guy is quite older than them. Like a solid 26 and Reuben is what, twenty maybe? I can't remember but still. This guy comes over and while I met him for the first time, it feels like I know him from somewhere. He was even at our place for dinner yesterday and ever since then I keep getting this weird nightmare that I didn't fall from the stairs and that guy attacked me. " Carlisia took a deep breath.