Chapter 58

Carlisia had stared at the tea pot with scepticism. She could have been wrong about the ulterior motives behind Carson's generosity but she could also be right.

At first Carlisia thought of emptying the teapot out the window but what if someone came in halfway. Carlisia walked towards it and poured herself a cup as she sat by the window. She brought it to her nose and deeply smelled it.

Nothing smelled out of the ordinary yet she quietly tipped the contents of the cup out of the window. She poured two more cups after that before walking to the bed, willing her heart beat to settle down and wait.

🌹

Hours went by. Staying still was torture on its own. Every now and then she would peek at the window, moonlight being the only indication. Guilt began to settle in her as the minutes passed by.

Carson had been kind to her, offered her knowledge and comfort and yet she had doubted his intentions. Perhaps he really didn't want to hurt her. Perhaps keeping her here was enough punishment for Gabriel. Her nightmares did seem like an extension of her imagination.

Carlisia was about to get out of bed when her ears perked up. The sound of these footsteps were soft yet heavy and sure.

Maybe he was just crossing by.

Yet Carlisia knew that wasn't it. Her heart began to beat frantically against her chest as the door to her bedroom opened and Carson walked in. Carlisia made sure that the rise and fall of her chest was as steady as it could be.

There was a familiar 'ping'.

He was recording her.

"Your mate is withering away, Gabriel. I have told you who I am, you know where we are. Why are you not coming to get her? I thought you loved her."

Carson's voice was taunting as he walked towards Carlisia. She felt his cold finger trail up her ankle to her knee.

"Well, I do enjoy your mate. She is an exquisite little thing."

Carlisia's mind went to all the times he had been kind and even though she knew it was coming, this moment felt like a betrayal.

She once again felt his cold fingers, brushing hair away from her face.

"Just relax, little lamb." His mouth was close to her ear as he grabbed her wrist. Carlisia made the mistake of peeking. She saw Carson in that moment, his eyes black, veins underneath his eyes and his teeth about to chomp down on her wrist.

In that moment, she remembered Gabriel, how he had attacked her as well.

Carlisia gave an ear piercing scream. Before a hand was placed firmly on her mouth. Carson stared at her before it turned into a glare, his eyes travelling to the tea pot and narrowing.

"Why is it so hard for people to actually listen?" He grumbled before trailing his eyes back to Carlisia.

"This was not a smart move on your part, little lamb."

Carson was angry but Carlisia was too busy petrified to think of much but the fact that her nightmares had been reality. What she thought of as harmless imagination were actually calculated moments where she was being brutally attacked.

Carson let her go and Carlisia pushed away from him, her eyes travelling across the room to find a video camera pointing straight at her. Recording everything.

"I thought your kindness came without a cost." Carlisia murmured, watching as Carson's gaze turned stone cold.

Carlisia looked around the room, something to attack him with in case he got close but would it even help. She had stood no chance against Gabriel just as she stood no chance against him. If she hadn't known this place as well as she did, she would have ran but time had shown that there was no way out.

Carson controlled every door.

"Everything has a cost." Carson seethed.

Carlisia slumped against the bed. Her mind went back to every conversation they had, every question he had answered and yet, every night he was killing her. Piece by piece. She didn't understand why it felt like betrayal.

"I have done nothing to you." Carlisia reminded him as her sorrow began to forge into anger.

"We ate dinner at the same table every night, I was beginning to trust you and yet you were feeding off of me? Why!?"

"Because you are Gabriel's mate and I have a debt to pay."

Carlisia wanted to attack him at that moment.

"Pay. It.To. Him. I did not ask to be his mate. I have suffered every single day under his thumb. I do not know what he did but when you caught me, I was running away from him. It is unfair to hold me accountable for something I had no part in."

Carson's gaze turned icy,

"My sister did nothing to your mate. Just like you, she had no part in the game Gabriel and I played and yet......"

Carson trailed off, his eyes getting darker with each passing moment. Carlisia thought he was going to attack her but he kept his distance, his eyes fixed on her.

"My sister was tortured for twenty three nights." Carson's voice was calm, as he took a step towards her.

"Your mate cut her heart out on the twenty fourth and drank her blood as people cheered him on."

Carson reached and gently stroked the side of her face before resting his hand over her neck, right on the fluttering vein.

Carlisia was shocked. She knew Gabriel was vicious but this. Carson stared as Carlisia registered this information. She didn't know what she would have done if something happened to her family and for a moment Carlisia felt she saw him.

"I am sorry for your sister, Carson. I didn't know." Carlisia whispered as she stared at Carson with genuine sorrow.

Carson read the expression on her face, his hold on her neck tightening.

"Now you do, little lamb but your sorry means nothing. She is dead and your mate killed her."

Carlisia's hand went to his, as his hold continued to tighten, pushing her on the bed.

"She is dead." He repeated, his teeth extending, eyes going dark.

"C-Carson, please." Carlisia gasped.

Carson snarled at her as he got on top of her.

"Please, Carson"

Carlisia was sobbing.

"My sister begged for mercy too. Look at the camera, little lamb and say her name."

"Carson, please!" She couldn't breathe but Carson pushed her into the bed more.

"Say her name!" Carson bellowed, his nails extended into her neck in the process and Carlisia gasped at the pain.

The lack of oxygen along with the pain in her neck were the last things she remembered before she passed out.