Chapter 56

Carson sat on the lounge chair in the library, his hair dishevelled, the front buttons of his shirt ripped open. He closed his eyes as he relished the taste on his tongue. He was completely drunk on Carlisia's blood.

With every sip he went through her memories, happy days of her childhood, sad days too and fear - so much fear. Through her eyes he had seen Gabriel and it brought him joy to know she saw him exactly as the monster that he was. Yet, there was more that he felt in that moment.

Feeding from the vain was intimate and he had done it to agitate Gabriel but it had cost him as well. He had felt so much of her as her blood went down his throat. Every sip felt like pleasure. He had remembered how Carlisia had reached to grab the back of his jacket, how he had grinded himself against her when he heard her moan. He had almost come undone. The drugs kept her so relaxed, everything had felt so sensual.

Carson closed his eyes as he brought the top of his fingers to his neck where there was a trail of blood before bringing his blood stained fingers to his mouth.

Her blood had tasted so good. She had felt so good.

He had not planned to hurt her but when he passed by that portrait of his sister all was lost. His sister had endured so much. What was one life in the face of years of torture his sister had faced - years of torture which Gabriel deserved.

He had Gabriel's heart in his hand, it was only fair he returned the favour. That was why he had kidnapped her in the first place. But instead of finding a delusional girl, smitten with her mate and expecting her knight in shining armour to rescue her, he had found Carlisia.

A beautiful yet broken little thing. Terrified of the man she was expected to spend her life with.

His mind went to Carlisia from that very morning, despite her fear she had been so captivated by everything. She hadn't been difficult at all. He had expected her attempt at an escape, hysterical behaviour at the revelation of vampires and other creatures inhabiting the world but she had been composed, curious even.

He had spied on her reading book after book in the library, he had been pleased with her questioning as well. He was sure that had he joined her for dinner, she might have an entire list of questions for him.

He had watched her with a sense of satisfaction, pleased by her curiosity, anticipating the questions she might ask if they were to share dinner. However, there was no room for tender conversations between a predator and prey. Carson knew that his ultimate purpose was to deliver the final blow to Gabriel, the source of his sister's torment, and he intended to use Carlisia as his instrument of retribution.

Drugging her was the only comfort he would provide her only because she was a victim to Gabriel's brutality. She didn't deserve to be awake for the grim justice he intended to deliver.

🌹

Carlisia woke, her head heavy and throbbing as though a fog lingered within her. Groggily, she raised her hand to her forehead, trying to piece together the fragments of her recent dream.

The dream was strange and fragmented. She couldn't recall much, but a pervasive fear had gripped her, something to do with Carson looming over her, his teeth bared in some unsettling manner. Her recollection was hazy, like trying to capture smoke with her bare hands.

As she lay there, her heart pounding, she raked her hand through her tangled hair. Her dream felt almost real, and she couldn't shake the eerie sense of vulnerability that had gripped her. But for now, the details remained elusive, as if concealed behind a veil of memory she couldn't pierce.