Chapter 36

Gabriel stood in a classic suit, staring at the guy up close. Initially he had decided to keep distance for a few days but the minute he was back home he had decided to fuck it, consequences be damned.

He looked at the boy in front of him, it was laughable howtextbook he looked to the definition of a tumblr boy, shaggy brown hair, lean, six feet. Gabriel smirked at the intensity with which the boy was looking at him.

Up close, he was nothing but an ant compared to him. If it came to it, Gabriel could easily crush him without even tapping into his wolf.

"In the flesh." Gabriel gave a sinister grin.

He could hear Carlisia still screaming in a haze in the background,

"Why don't you tend to your daughter, Maria." Gabriel said not taking his eyes off the boy but Gabriel had to give him credit, he stood his ground.

If Zane was intimidated, he didn't show it.

"I have heard alot about you. I might even go as far as to say I know everything about you."

Zane's frown deepened.

"Funny. Carlisia didn't say anything about you."

"There is nothing to tell." Gabriel shrugged,

"Then why is she screaming your name in her sleep."

"I just have that kind of effect on women." Gabriel was enjoying this more than he should have.

Zane's eyes narrowed.

"She was screaming at you to stop."

Gabriel sighed,

"No need to get so worked up, Zane. She must be traumatised from the attack and since I was the one who found her unconscious in the forest. Her subconscious might be presenting overwhelming scenarios to her. She is on a lot of drugs, you know."

Zane's jaw tightened as he listened to Gabriel's explanation, his suspicion growing. Something about Gabriel's demeanour and dismissive tone didn't sit right with him.

He couldn't shake off the feeling that there was more to this story, something Gabriel wasn't telling him. "She called you by name," Zane stated firmly, his voice laced with concern. "And you seem awfully calm about it." Gabriel's eyes flickered with a hint of annoyance but quickly masked behind a mask of indifference.

Zane's fists clenched, his concern for Carlisia fueling his anger.

"Don't you dare try to downplay her pain and fear," Zane growled, taking a step closer to Gabriel. "I don't know who you are or what you've done to her, but I will find what you did to her.."

Gabriel's eyes flashed with a mix of irritation and amusement. He took a step forward, his tall frame towering over Zane.

"And what are you going to do about it, little boy?" Gabriel taunted, his voice dripping with arrogance. "You don't even know me. Your accusations will bear consequences, I am a man of power and influence. You do understand how it could play out for you? Taking your first steps into the real world, applying for colleges, Stanford, right? Just like you and Carlisia planned."

Zane took a step back as a cruel smile made its way onto Gabriel's lips.

"How do you know all this?" Zane was shocked, how could he know all this? He knew Carlisia was a private person, she would never tell anyone this, especially not a guy who looked too old.

"Provide your comfort, then leave. Know that you are not wanted here." Gabriel's tone was dark.

On cue, Maria came out of Carlisia's room, looking at both of them.

"Zane, I think you should go back to the hotel for the night. Carlisia is sedated and will not be waking up anytime soon."

Zane glanced between Gabriel and Maria, his mind racing with conflicting emotions. He wanted to stay and protect Carlisia, but he also knew that he couldn't do much if she was sedated. Reluctantly, he nodded, his gaze never leaving Gabriel's face.

"Fine," Zane muttered through clenched teeth. "But don't think for a second that this is over. I'll find out the truth, and if you're involved in any way, you'll regret crossing paths with me."

Gabriel's laugh was cruel,

"I am a man truly terrified." He mocked as Zane turned to leave.

Gabriel's smirk fell off his face replaced by anger as he saw the boy exiting to the elevators. He took a deep breath as his eyes narrowed towards Carlisia's room.

"Do not hurt the boy."

Maria's voice was small, Gabriel didn't reply as he entered Carlisia's room.

There weren't any machines on her anymore, just a regular IV line that was standard practice. Gabriel sighed, a sense of calm filling him as he looked at Carlisia.

He approached her bed with a mixture of tenderness and apprehension. Despite his stoic exterior, Gabriel's heart clenched with worry for Carlisia. He gently brushed a strand of hair away from her face, his fingertips lingering on her cheek.

"Carlisia," he whispered, his voice laced with a hint of regret. "I never wanted any of this for you."

His mind drifted back to the night he lost control. How he had forcefully marked her, how he had ignored her screams until she finally gave out. He gently pulled at the neck of her gown to see her bandages.

Gabriel winced as he saw the bandages covering Carlisia's neck, a painful reminder of the damage he had caused. Guilt washed over him, intertwining with his anger towards himself. He had never wanted to hurt her, but his uncontrollable instincts had taken over that night.

Tears welled up in Gabriel's eyes as he realized the extent of the damage he had caused to the one person he cared about. He leaned closer, his lips barely brushing against her forehead.

"I'm so sorry, Carlisia," he whispered, his voice choked with emotion. "I never meant for any of this to happen. I'll do whatever it takes to make it right, to protect you."

Gabriel's hands trembled as he reached out to hold Carlisia's hand, his touch gentle and cautious. He vowed to himself at that moment that he would find a way to control his inner beast, to ensure that Carlisia would never be in danger again.

As he sat by her bedside, Gabriel's thoughts were consumed with the weight of his actions. He knew he had to make amends and earn Carlisia's trust once more. But deep down, he feared that he had irreparably damaged their relationship.

Meanwhile, Zane paced back and forth in the hotel room, his mind swirling with a mix of anger, confusion, and concern. He couldn't shake off the feeling that something was off about Gabriel. The way he had dismissed Carlisia's screams and appeared unbothered by the accusations only fueled Zane's determination to uncover the truth.

He pulled out his phone and began searching for any information he could find about Gabriel. There had to be something that would reveal his true nature and intentions. Zane scrolled through numerous search results, digging deeper into Gabriel's background, but he found nothing that indicated any malicious intent.

Zane let out a frustrated sigh and rubbed his temples, contemplating his next move. He knew he couldn't rely solely on internet searches to uncover the truth. He needed more concrete evidence, something that would expose Gabriel's secrets.

Zane's mind raced with possibilities as he considered different approaches to gather evidence. He realised that he needed to be cautious and discreet to avoid alerting Gabriel.

He only had a week to make sure he found something, a week to make sure he left with Carlisia.