Chapter 16

The past two days went by in a blur thanks to Sidra and Rue.

Carlisia could have never imagined that things would work out this well. She felt overwhelmed with happiness.

While her friends were to thank for that, she still couldn't deny the fact that not seeing Gabriel around also contributed. He hadn't returned to school since Tuesday which was a massive relief.

Today was Friday, the day of the big game. Everyone was excited.

"I can't wait for the game today!" Sidra said all riled up as she got out of the car. Carlisia grabbed her backpack and followed suit laughing.

Rue had gone out of town today. Apparently some family had died so it was just her and Sidra.

"This looks so crazy." Carlisia said laughing and she looked around the parking lot.

Almost everyone wore the color of their school flag, blue and orange. There was face paint, colored wigs, everything going on even though the game wouldn't start till 6:00 pm.

"Is it always like this?" Carlisia asked Sidra to which she nodded.

"This game is super imported. We lost to them last year. If we had won, it would have been our third game in a row but we underestimated. After that, everyone has a chip on their shoulder. Fircrest takes its football very seriously." Sidra added and Carlisia chuckled.

"Okay. Wow." She said jokingly when Sidra's phone buzzed.

It was a message.

Sidra opened it quickly and skimmed through the contents. Carlisia noticed as Sidra's smile began to fade.

"Is everything okay?" Carlisia asked worried.

Sidra placed a fake smile and replied,

"Uh yeah, it's some family stuff. I have to go. I'll see you at the game tonight alright?" Sidra said as she quickly walked towards the car.

"Do you need help with anything?" Carlisia called out and Sidra shook her head.

"It's fine." She called out from across the parking lot and in seconds disappeared.

Carlisia stared at the empty spot at the moment.

Something wasn't right.

Shaking her head she walked inside school.

The day was uneventful. She took her classes, did some work at the library and currently sat at the bleachers watching the football team train. There were some other people too.

She had messaged Reuben if he would be able to give her a ride home after school and was very thankful for a yes. He did mention some training he had and here she was, at the bleachers watching the guys do laps.

The weather was getting cold and the sky was cloudy, which was basically vanilla here, It was cold and cloudy almost every single day.

Carlisia watched as the coach blew his whistle and barked at the boys. For a skinny man, the coach was well respected among the players.

Carlisia sat patiently as the laps dragged on, there weren't many people on the bleachers. Everyone had gone home before returning for the big game.

"You don't seem like the sporty type."

Carlisia jolts as her eyes widen, her heart beat quickening as she looked behind her.

Gabriel stood there in all his glory. His suit ironed, the atmosphere heavily smelling of cologne.