Chapter 34

She could hear her heartbeat in her ears, frantic like that of a prey staring straight at the predator.

She never thought catching her breath could ever be this hard as she stared around the room. She had woken up in the morning to the warmth of sunlight over her face, the smell of disinfectant and the pain - the blinding pain in her body.

Her mom was right beside her, lovingly caressing her hair, her fingers combing through them.

"How are you feeling?" She whispered and that was all it took for Carlisia to sob her soul out.

"It's okay baby, mommy knows." Her mom continued to lovingly caress her head, but Carlisia saw the tears welling in her mother's eyes. God knows what hell she had gone through for her.

"I don't ever want to see him, mom." Carlisia had whispered and her mom had smiled.

"I won't ever make you."

That had given Carlisia some sense of relaxation as she trailed her eyes and stared at the ceiling.

"Do you want to sit up? I have someone waiting to meet you." Maria said and Carlisia stared at her mother in horror.

"It's not the Alpha."

Carlisia relaxed a bit and nodded as Maria helped her up just enough, adjusting the bed so her body was just a little upright. Carlisia felt the itchiness of the bandages on either side of her shoulders and on her side.

Carlisia's eyes glazed as she remembered Gabriel's face, his teeth bloody, eyes golden and that euphoric expression on his face.

"Oh, thank God!"

Carlisia is brought out of her thoughts at that voice and it took all willpower not to jump out of bed and engulf the person.

A sob escaped her lips as her uncle was on her side, engulfing her in a hug, careful to avoid pressure on her side.

Carlisia's arms draped over his broad shoulders as she broke in a fresh fit of sobs.

"You are okay. You are okay" Her uncle soothed her, one of his hands on the back of her head, lovingly caressing it as he gently rocked her like he used to when she was a child.

After a while Carlisia calmed down and her uncle pulled away, cupping her face with both of his hands. Carlisia reached and engulfed his hands with her own,

"Why on Earth would you go hiking alone in the woods?"

Her stomach dropped the minute those words left her uncle's mouth. Is that what they told him? That she got attacked by an animal when hiking?

She tried to form words how that was untrue, how she was attacked and how Gabriel did this but each explanation sounded more absurd than the next. Her explanations were beyond rational and given her current condition she was sure her uncle would think she bumped her head pretty hard too.

"I don't know what I was thinking." She said instead, as tears of helplessness escaped her eyes.

No one in their right mind would believe her.

"Oh Carly, it's okay. What happened cannot be taken back. Don't cry, my love. I hope they catch the animal that did this to you. I have made a handsome donation to the wildlife reserve here to catch that animal."

Carlisia sobbed harder at that, shaking her head.

They would never catch him, everyone knew who did this to her and no one cared to help her. Her uncle's money had gone to nothing but waste.

"Okay, that's enough, don't cry your soul out, it pains me to see you like this. Come on, you are so strong." Her uncle said softly pushing hair away from her face as Carlisia gasped for air.

"You are stronger than this."

Carlisia forced a weak smile, her eyes red and swollen from her tears. She desperately wanted to believe her uncle's words, to find solace in his presence, but the haunting memories of that night kept creeping back into her mind, shattering any sense of strength she tried to muster.

She nodded, not trusting herself to speak as she took in a shaky breath.

Her uncle smiled and Carlisia forced one of her own.

"I know someone who can cheer you up." Her uncle said as he kissed the top of her head

and on cue there was the sound of a throat clearing.

Carlisia looked, she felt like she couldn't breathe for a moment as he uncle got up and left her.

Fresh tears filled her eyes as she looked at the person in front.

"Oh, Carly!" She was once again engulfed.

Carlisia clutched onto the person, as if holding on to him any tighter would make her relive all the good memories they had and forget all the bad ones.

"Zane"

I know it's a short chapter guys but hey, somethings better than nothing right? Hope you like this chapter and if you do maybe give it a like and hit the follow button?