Chapter 67

Gabriel felt he was in a movie as the casket was lowered into the ground. His eyes were wide, face as blank as it could be.

The funeral wasn't an open casket. Her uncle had been insistent that Carlisia had hated it. Instead, Gabriel had seen her one last time in the morgue along with her family when the body was ready before being sealed into the casket.

The sound of dirt hitting her casket made him feral with grief.

He couldn't feel her. There was no life left to feel.

She was really dead.

The past week felt like a blur.

He remembered the chaos.

The grief.

He remembered Carlisia collapsing in the diner, blood gushing from her nose. He had tried to perform CPR but her eyes had lost all light by the time he had laid her on the floor.

Her food had been laced with poison no one could detect, the entire diner staff had been interrogated, the head chef dead in between. Nothing came out of it.

There were diplomatic talks going on, waiting for someone to own up to the attack but no one had come forward yet.

He remembered the sight of Reuben, his knees buckling at the sight of Carlisia's open eyes and Gabriel's tear stained face. He remembered Maria's wails.

There was commotion to his right, Gabriel numbly turned towards it, Maria had just fainted. Ben hugged her close to his body as a few tears escaped his eyes.

Gabriel could see the guilt on their faces.

No one would say it. Going against the Alpha was treason.

Gabriel's eyes then drifted to Reuben. His face was blank, the witch close beside him. They were mates.

For a moment Gabriel felt jealous, looking at them comforting each other. The emotion was gone as soon as it came.

His mate had died hating him. Carlisia had died hating them all.

He didn't realise how quickly time went by. Alone now in the graveyard the silence pressed in on him, broken only by the whisper of wind through the trees. He glanced around, struck by the desolation of the place—each tombstone a testament to a life extinguished, including Carlisia's.

A soft sound caught his attention. Gabriel tensed, then relaxed as Reuben emerged from the shadows. They shared a wordless exchange, both grappling with the enormity of their loss.

"She didn't deserve this," Reuben said quietly, his voice heavy with sorrow. Gabriel nodded, his throat tight with unspoken grief. His guilt weighed on him.

Her uncle is going to open an investigation.

"Of course."

Gabriel said, not caring. If they couldn't find anything, he doubted anyone else could.

With that, he walked out of the cemetery. His shattered heart buried with the girl that got away.