Chapter 41

Carlisia sat in the passenger seat of her car, staring at Zane. He had insisted on seeing more of the town but she knew it was nothing more than an excuse to get her out of her room. Zane was going to leave tonight and even though he had insisted she come with her mom had decided it would be much safer if Zane were to leave first.

She would stay back for a week, depicting a model citizen going back to her life after a traumatic event before disappearing. She would drive to Tacoma under the guise of shopping and buy quite a few things until on her way back home she would park her car in the parking lot of a gas station and walk in a nearby diner only to have a cab waiting at the end to take her to Seattle from where she would get a flight back to Australia. She didn't want to use her uncle's jet as it would be too obvious but this was the best they could come up with.

Carlisia smiled as Zane opened the car door for her and helped her out.

"For a town so small, I love how this place has everything. I just saw a bougie store selling organic goods too, who would have thought!"

Carlisia smiled as they walked inside.

"I still wished you were leaving with me, tonight"

Zane gave a side glance and Carisia smiled,

"I need to sort a few things out."

Zane sighed but didn't press further as he gently placed his arm over her shoulder and pulled her closer to him.

"Everything will get better once you are back."

Carlisia looked up at him and nodded as he continued to tell some other weird story. Zane didn't notice the calculated side glances people were giving them but he had always been gullible.

They currently walked towards the food court. Zane had gone to almost every store to get a present for his sister, they were currently in another store as Zane looked at rows and rows of handbags, rejecting each one after another.

Carlisia walked by the bags, then the shoes, her eyes grazing over the rack before she walked to stand in front of the glass, staring out of the store. Her eyes skimmed over the crowd before her breathing stopped.

She could hear Zane still talking to the pretty woman who was attending to him but his sound seemed to be far away. Carlisia's heart beat erratically as she looked at the person, for a moment her mind went back to that day, how Gabriel had pulled from her neck, her blood dripping down his face, his expression euphoric.

Carlisia breathing turned erratic, Gabriel was looking straight at her, his face completely emotionless. The navy blue suit he was wearing fit him perfectly, stretching over his body. He looked stronger - bigger, as if he had packed more muscle.

Carlisia couldn't breath as she took a step back and stumbled, falling on her back. She began to crawl back as there was commotion and Zane rushed to her side.

Carlisia didn't stop staring at Gabriel as Zane grabbed her face in his hands and turned her to look at him.

"Hey, what's wrong? Why are you crying? Are you hurt?"

Carlisia pointed towards the glass not being able to form words. Zane looked at the direction she was pointing at but found no one there.

A sob escaped her lips and Zane pulled her to his chest.

"It's okay. I'm here. Nothing can hurt you. You are okay." Zane cooed as Carlisia sobbed into his chest.

Zane held Carlisia tightly, his voice filled with a mixture of concern and confusion. He cast a wary glance towards the empty spot Carlisia had pointed at, his mind struggling to comprehend what she had seen. People were giving them glances, staring at the commotion, once their eyes would land on Carlisia they would automatically be diverted.

No one came and asked her if anything was wrong making Carlisia sob harder, these people would never help her.

"It's alright, Carlisia. I'm here, and I won't let anything harm you," Zane murmured, his words a desperate attempt to provide comfort.

Carlisia's sobs gradually subsided, but her trembling persisted. Her eyes darted around the food court, searching for any sign of Gabriel's presence. But there was nothing, only the normalcy of the bustling crowd and the distant chatter of the people around them.

"I-I-"

Carlisia stuttered but she didn't know what to say, what could she even? She can't tell him about Gabriel without telling him everything and once that would happen she was sure Zane might never get on that plane home.

She took in a shaky breath and looked at him, he was looking expectantly, an explanation.

"I thought I saw something." Carlisia sniffled and detached herself from Zane.

Zane nodded, not wanting to overwhelm her and helped her up.

"You don't have to worry about anything when I am with you."

Carlisia gave him a shaky smile and nodded. Zane pulled her back to his chest,

"I'll protect you. I'll always protect you. It could be an animal attack or anything, I'll always protect you Carly, with my life"

"Don't say that, Zane. I don't want you to waste your life over me." Carlisia sniffled.

"That's the truth, Carly bear."

Carlisia nodded and pulled away as Zane examined her face then smiled.

"I should probably get that bag." Zane remarked and Carlsia chuckled, wiping her face with her sleeve.

"Yeah, you definitely should. Especially after this tantrum, I think you should buy two."

Zane laughed disappearing to the counter.

The smile fell off Carlisia's face as she scanned her eyes over the people who bustled outside the store but Gabriel was gone but there was no doubt in her mind that Gabriel was spying on her.

She felt it when she was out, when she was alone in her room even when she was sleeping. She always felt his eyes watching her.

She turned around to see Zane at the cash counter paying for the bags. He would leave tonight and for a moment, Carlisia felt a mix of relief and misery.

He had been an anchor for her the past few days but he needed to leave.

He needed to be safe, that was all she could ask for now.