Chaptah Terti-nayn

Failed~

XAVIER

"Dad,"

I called my father who's sitting on the old metal swing outside my palace. He's looking up the night sky as if it is the most fascinating view he have ever seen.

"Son," he shifted his eyes on me. "You need something?"

"No,"

He smiled and gestured the space beside him. "Come, take a sit."

Gradually, I stepped towards and also, sat on the metal swing with him. None of us spoke for minutes until he chuckled.

"This is so awkward. It's the first time we've been in this kind of situation as father and son yet, it is making me realize more that I didn't became a responsible father to you, Xavier."

I turned my gaze on him.

"Eversince your grandma passed away, you always tries to isolate yourself. Even to me as your father. And it was the biggest mistake I did. I let you turn your back to us, I let you suffer alone. I failed to protect you, and now, that you're standing independently as a grown man, I'm still glad and proud. Though, maybe I don't have the right to feel so."

I avoided my eyes on him. Clardia's right. I hurt the people around me. I'm used to isolating myself and wearing a cold expression that can conceal any vulnerability I might show. I don't want to be a burden to anyone.

The time when my grandfather announced that I will be the next King of Acelatoria, I felt pressured. Never did I opposed what he want me to do. What he want to do with my life. I let him choose who my wife will be without considering myself. I thought it was the best for everyone else, but now, I just realized that it wasn't.

"I'm sorry, Dad..."

He gave me a stare. "I shall be the one to say that, Xavier. It's my negligence as a father, not only to you, but to Xanthal as well."

"I chose to keep myself away and it's my fault. Not yours, Dad. I can decide on my own since then and until now so, don't blame yourself. I'm glad enough that I still have a father."

"Thank you, Xavier. I thought you only inherited your Mom's tough attitude but I guess, you also got her rare soft side." My father chuckled once again then we both averted our eyes at the sky with grains of stars on it. The moons were not seen, but by the presence of the stars, the dull sky still stands out.

"What's my Mom like?"

My father took a quick glance at me. "Your Mom? She's the reason why I'm here now. She loves stargazing and she believes that watching the stars twinkle, can sparkle your heart with joy. It's an unexplainable belief yet, she always manage to prove it to me."

"Did you loved my mother?"

"I love her. I still love her so much."

"How about Xanthal's mother?"

It took him seconds to answer, but then he smiled afterwards. "Even if your mothers both leave me after giving birth to the both of you, I still love them because I have you and your sister now because of them."

Eversince I was a child, I always wonder on how does it feel to have a mother. I envy Greg and Lucas for having my Aunt beside them. I leaned on my grandmother instead, hoping that it would make me feel complete like how other families are. But then, she was killed, which made me more miserable. I wanted to avenge her to the person who took her life, if my grandfather didn't just decided to use an amicable approach to settle the feud between our monarchy and the revolutionary organization. But once our paths cross, I will certainly kill her.