38 - Fears and Nightmares

“If you aren't in the moment, you are either looking forward to uncertainty, or back to pain and regret.”

- Jim Carrey

______________________

Elaine’s fingernails painfully dug into my forearms. “Don’t go. Don’t leave me, Harry, don’t.” Her voice was breaking with every word and a fearful glint shimmered in her eyes.

She was like a baby deer in the forest, afraid of being alone. She needed guidance, warmth and love. This dark place provided none of it.

She needed me, she needed me.

And I would be damned if I let her go, if I let the darkness take her away from me.

I shook off her hands and quickly intertwined our fingers, placing a kiss to the corner of her lips. “I’m not going anywhere, nothing can come between you and I.”

This promise was meant to reassure her, and it held so much power that the invisible force trying to tear us apart disappeared.

I frantically looked around, trying to see anything that could give me a clue about her whereabouts, but there was nothing. Maybe it was just because we were only mentally connected, but I somehow doubted it.

“Elaine, back wherever you are, what do you see? Can you tell me where the darkness took you? What happened?” I breathlessly fired the questions at her, afraid we would be torn apart soon.

“Darkness, there is darkness everywhere. I open my eyes and I just see black. I can hear screams, but I don’t see anyone. Harry, I’m so scared,” she whimpered, hot tears trailing down her cheeks.

I cupped her face and wiped my thumbs across her cheeks, stopping the tears from hitting the ground. “What happened when you crossed over?”

She gulped and briefly closed her eyes, recollecting her thoughts. “I was so mad. I just kept walking across the field and I kind of noticed the darkness but my mind was somewhere else. Next thing I know, I’m in this dark place.”

“It’s my fault,” I whispered quietly, feeling sick in the pit of my stomach.

Elaine shook her head and put her hands on top of mine, gripping them tightly. “No, it’s not. It was bound to happen.”

“The Council knows, we’re trying to find a way to get you. Apparently this dream-walking thing is supposed to help, but I just don’t know.” I knew I was doing a bad job at calming her down, but how could I possibly tell her that everything would be all right when I saw her breaking down in front of me and knew that we had nowhere to start looking for her?

I eyed her up and down, trying to see if she was physically harmed. There were no bruises nor were there any other implications of physical abuse. I kissed her forehead and wrapped my arms around her fragile frame, holding her close to me.

“I’m so alone even if there are other souls around. I can’t see anything and it’s driving me crazy. I don’t know how much longer I can remain here,” she hiccupped.

Holding her, I let her wet my t-shirt, not giving a single damn about it. I let her cry until she had spent all her tears, and then just held her until she tried to wiggle out of my grip.

The trails of her tears seemed to be engraved in her skin, but her eyes were finally dry.

“I won’t stop until I can hold you for real again, I promise you. I will get you out of there.” I was confident in my words, knowing they would come true. I wouldn’t stop to surrender.

This time, Elaine was the one cupping my face. She stood on her tippy toes and closed her eyes, her lips landing on mine. Fire shot through me and the hair on my neck stood on end from her feverish kiss. Our lips molded perfectly and for a moment, all worries were pushed aside.