12 - Consequences

"Unbeing dead isn't being alive."

― E.E. Cummings

______________________

Although she wanted to appear confident, I could tell that Elaine still had her doubts. It was probably my job to calm her down and tell her everything would be alright, but I didn't have it in me to talk to her again.

I just wanted to get back to the boys and take my mind off things. Hands down, this job sucked.

"Are you coming or what?" Elaine snapped, her right foot already on the bridge.

"Yes," I hissed. Oh sweetheart, I'm counting down the minutes until I can dump you in front of the Council hall and have to never see you again.

I followed Elaine. She was hesitant but tried to cover it up with long steps. Her head rocked from left to right and her eyes reflected awe.

"I don't belong," she whispered half-across the bridge.

I sighed. "Why?"

"I want to stay on earth. That's where I belong," she said a bit louder.

"No, you don't," I disagreed.

"I want to stay on earth!" Elaine said firmly, coming to a complete stop. She turned around, a fire in her eyes that made me take a step back.

Just when she was about to brush past me, I grabbed her wrist. Oh no, she was definitely not going to ruin this assignment.

I tugged her along, forcefully dragging her across the second half of the bridge. Once our feet stepped on the grass in Shimmerland, the bridge flickered and then vanished, as if it could sense trouble.

Immediately letting go of her wrist, I watched Elaine taking a step forward, but she was too slow. The place that used to be occupied by the bridge was now empty, Elaine looking lost and vulnerable in the midst of flowers.

What I hadn't expected was her falling down on her knees and starting to cry.

Completely dumbfounded by her reaction, I just stared at her as if she had grown another head. What was I supposed to do now?

I knew how to comfort my sister and my mother. I was close to them; I loved them. But Elaine was a different case. She was a stranger and so far, I didn't like her.

And I never would.

Elaine was crying violently, tears streaming down her face with no end in sight. Her hands usurpingly ripped at her hair, surely disrooting some streaks.

It went against my morals to just do nothing. I had to help her, I just had to.

So I quietly went over to her and knelt down beside her bent figure. My hand trembled, scaling whether to touch her or not.

Taking a deep breath, I got over it and entrapped her in my arms. She bridled, but once again I was too strong for her. Without another option left, she surrendered and cried in my chest.

I gently stroked her hair and whispered calming words, such as "Everything's gonna be alright," in her ear. After some while, I felt her relax.

Elaine struggled in my arms, but I didn't budge.

"Let me go," she demanded, her voice muffled by my shirt, but I still complied.

My eyes met glaring brown ones, filled with so much hatred, it made me shuffle a step back.

"Don't ever do that again." Her voice oozed with venom.

"Woah, damn. Bipolar much?"

Elaine wiped her eyes and got up on her feet again. "What now?"