24 - Work It

"A lot of you cared, just not enough."

― Jay Asher, Thirteen Reasons Why

______________________

Isaac's word hit me like an express train.

Okay, maybe that was a bit exaggerated, but I was definitely far from being happy. A new assignment meant Elaine and I had to go back to earth and act as if nothing had happened. At all.

Without waiting for our approval (or denial), Natalie threw facts about the new soul at us. "Delia Harper, 28 years old, died two days ago."

"Cause of death?" Elaine asked, looking rather interested.

Natalie hesitated for a second before answering her question. "Suicide."

All eyes fell on Elaine and me, awaiting our reaction. I forced any emotion off my face, revealing nothing but a blank stare. Elaine bit her lip, but otherwise didn't react either.

"Well, good luck," Isaac told us and disappeared. His fellow wises did the same, only Elisa stayed behind.

"Be careful." The always-present smile on her face was gone, replaced by a serious expression.

Elaine gulped visibly next to me. "Is the soul dangerous?"

This time, Elisa's lips twitched back into her usual smile. "This is not about your new assignment. I'm talking about the two of you."

Those were her last words before she disappeared, not giving Elaine nor me the chance to ask what exactly she was talking about this time. But my gut feeling was telling me it was exactly what I thought it was.

"Very... interesting," Elaine mused, her eyes flickering from the now empty spot up to meet my eyes.

"Shall we?" I asked, pointing over my shoulder to the door.

"Yeah, cannot wait to meet our suicidal soul. I already feel sorry for her." There was a frown etched onto her forehead.

"Definitely. She was probably trying to escape her hell of a life on earth and now she's gonna end up in another kind of hell."

"Maybe she'll like it," Elaine commented and pushed the door open. The wind pushed her hair back, letting it fall loosely down her back in flimsy waves.

Watching the way her hair hit her shirt, reminded me of something. "Hey, do you wanna get changed first? We're still wet and all. And maybe we could grab something to eat as well?" I asked, stopping at the bottom of the stairs.

Elaine pondered for a moment, but then nodded. "Yeah, it's not like she can run away. Wait, what was her name again?"

"Uhm," I tried to recall Natalie's information. "Delia? I think it was Delia Harper. You know, like Charlie Harper, just ... Delia."

"You're rambling," she laughed, the soft tone filling my ears.

"So," I cautiously started, falling into step with Elaine, "you're not mad at me for throwing you into the lake anymore?"

She tugged at the hem of her shirt, squeezing the material in her fragile hands. For some unknown reason, she avoided looking me into the eyes. "That was just an act, yeah? In front of the Council?"

I wasn't sure whether she was stating or asking, so I simply said "yes."

Waiting for her to continue, I was disappointed when she didn't. Not really knowing what to say, I kept quiet until we reached my/our house. Elaine excused herself to change, and I did the same without wasting much time.