04 - First Assignment

"Those who are afraid of what comes after death because it is unknown may tend to be those who cannot face the unknown in life."

― Robert E. Neale, The Art of Dying

______________________

"I'm looking forward to it," I sarcastically remarked.

Actually, there was nothing I wanted to do more than just go back to my house and sleep for a week.

I just couldn't help the rush of excitement floating my veins. My first assignment!
What was I supposed to do? Did I have to wear anything nice?

"Then let's go!" George smiled at me, looking like a proud father.

"Wait, what? Right now?" I asked, not sure whether I was ready or not.

"Harry," George began, his soft voice catching all my attention, "when we get a call to catch a soul, we do it immediately. It's a rule. Don't disobey those rules."
"There are rules?" The surprise was evident in my voice.

George nodded. "Yes, you will learn them soon enough."

"What other rules are there?" I didn't care about 'learning them soon enough,' I wanted to know now.

"Don't change someone's destiny, don't fall in love with your trainee, etc.," he trailed off, motioning with his hand that there were many rules to follow.

Eh, I didn't even understand what that was supposed to mean so I decided to just let it go for now.

"And where are we going now?" I felt so clueless, so lost like a little kid on his first school day.

"Wherever the bridge takes us." George was speaking in riddles, I just had no clue what he was talking about.

The bridge?
Oh, right. The bridge.

"I know everything we need to know and the bridge will take us to her," George explained, catching my confused glances.

"Her?" I hoped he was talking about a hot girl my age. You could never know...

"Hannah. I'll tell you more once we're there. Now c'mon." George motioned for me to follow him.

We walked across one of the many green fields with those flowers I could and could not name. This time I didn't stop to take them all in, I kept walking and passed red and green and yellow and pink flowers. It was a sea of colours and right in between the bridge stood like a lonely soldier in a lost battle.

That didn't even make any sense.

I shook my head, trying to get my mind off these weird thoughts. Now I knew what my teacher meant when she said "You just don't get the main principle of metaphors." But in my opinion, the author meant to say that the sky is blue when he wrote "the sky is blue," and not that he felt an inner turmoil.

"Stop daydreaming," George teased me, nudging me slightly in the ribs.

We walked towards the bridge. Right before we stepped on it, I imitated will.i.am as well as I could, "Bring the action!"
George gave me a weird look and walked off, disappearing in the mist that was surrounding the bridge. Geesh, he clearly wasn't up-to-date.

"Thanks a lot," I murmured, following suit.

I had no idea what to do, I simply thought of George and walked across the bridge.

The grey mist swallowed me, momentarily blinding my eyes. At first, I couldn't see anything at all but suddenly, a bright light was blinding me.

Out of instinct, I covered my eyes with my hand and took a step forward.