00 - Excerpt

WARNING: some chapters may be with sexual content. Particular warnings given in said chapters.

"Death never comes at the right time, despite what mortals believe. Death always comes like a thief."

― Christopher Pike

______________________

[The following scene is an excerpt; it has not happened yet but is supposed to give you a little taste of the story.]

Harry's POV

A new assignment. That was exactly what I didn't need right now.

Here I was, thinking I would actually get a few days off. Afterlife was hell even though everyone here claimed they were in heaven.

I mentally went through all the details I knew about the new soul I had yet to catch.

Elaine Summer, 18 years old, drowned in a river.

I shuddered. Drowning surely wasn't a nice experience. From what I have been told, she has been murdered and although the murderer has been caught, poor Elaine couldn't find any rest. That was where I had to step in and save the day. Literally.

I could find my way around easier now. The bridge shimmered in front of me and I quickly passed the stones, stepping into the living world. All I had to do was to think of Elaine and within no time, the bridge would lead me to wherever she was.

A dark forest, however, was not what I had expected. My eyes adjusted to the darkness but I couldn't see the girl anywhere.

"Elaine?" I called, my voice echoing through the woods. Silence.

I sighed and began walking along the path that divided the trees. The cool evening breeze had little to no effect on me. "Elaine?" I called again.

"C'mon, I don't want to-" I wanted to complain under my breath but was stopped when a body slammed against my back, making me lose my balance. I fell face-first on the ground, outstretching my arms to soften the fall.

"Who are you, how do you know my name and why can I touch you?" The questions were fired at me like bullets and I groaned. Was she serious?

"How about you get off me and then I'll answer your questions?" I suggested, trying not to sound annoyed if I wanted her to trust me.

Elaine considered my words for a moment. "Fine," she grumbled and the light weight left my back. I turned around and pushed myself up, coming face-to-face with a pretty brunette. Her eyes glimmered and even though it was dark, I could see their brown colour.

"I'm Harry, the Council told me your name and because I'm dead, too," I answered her question with one breath.

"So, Harry," she began. I narrowed my eyes. The way she said my name was evidence enough that she had an attitude. "Why are you here?"

"I'm a Soul Catcher and I'm supposed to get you to cross the bridge," I told her straight-forward. There was no need to beat about the bush.

She let out a little laugh but it held no amusement or whatsoever. "No."

That was a common reaction for lost souls and I had to keep in mind that she has been murdered, which surely had to explain her attitude.

I at least hoped she wasn't always that bitchy and it was just a result of her death.

"I can help," I gently whispered, cocking my head and studying her face. She was really pretty but so far, her attitude was a big turn-off.

"Sure," she snorted. "You're too pretty to be useful."

I sucked in a deep breath. Oh, how the tables have turned. But I wasn't about to give up. Quite the contrary, now I was determined to teach her a thing or two.

The game is on, Elaine.

______________________

[Please note that the story deals with death. The 'afterlife' is made up and does not have any connections to any religious aspects.

If you like the story, please make sure to vote, leave a comment and spread it!]