21 - Through The Dark

"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves."

- Henry David Thoreau

______________________

Elaine's POV

I knew I had gone too far again, but to be completely fair, if I had known he would rant about the good side of me, I would have bitten my tongue and swallowed my words.

His touch made my skin tingle, the strand of my hair safely stuck behind my ear.

His oh-so warm hand was still holding my face, his palm cupping my cheek and chin at the same time.

My breath was caught somewhere in my lungs, my chest not able to find its usual steady rhythm.

The way Harry stared into my eyes was like he could see every single inch of my soul, even the darkest parts that I kept hidden from everyone around me and even myself.

His pale green eyes were filled with so many emotions. Emotions that made me want to cry out.

Silently asking me if it was alright, he only waited a moment before leaning in.

And oh, it was more than alright. It was perfect. I could basically feel his lips on mine, anticipating the way his tongue would feel against my own, tasting his individual taste and getting lost in the bliss and ecstasy I knew I would feel.

My eyes fluttered close and I could swear my dead heart started beating rapidly in my chest.

The way my back was pressed to the rough surface of the trunk and how the smell of the autumnal leaves around me filled my nostrils, added up to the perfection of this moment.

With Harry's strong body pressed so close to mine, nearly overwhelming me, I could sense his lips a feathery touch away.

My thoughts spinning out of my head and every still-living nerve in my body on high alert, I was already lost in the sensation that was Harry Styles.

His lips were nearly on mine, but before our lips did actually meet, a voice killed the moment.

"I can't find her anywhere, she's gone!" Marie's annoying, whiny voice rang out to us.

Harry jumped two feet away from me, and immediately, I could breathe better again. My hands were holding on to the trunk for dear life, too afraid to let go.

Looking up at Harry, I barely caught him shaking his head slightly and biting the inside of his cheek, probably hiding a smile.

"I'll go back to Shimmerland and ask the Council if another Soul Catcher has taken her back there," he said, his voice raspy and deeper than usual. It sounded like he had just run a small marathon. "I'll be back as soon as possible."

Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw the shimmery bridge appear.

Marie's eyes were elsewhere, but Harry wasted no time in turning around and leaving me as if nothing had just happened.

But replaying the moment in my head, I knew that nothing had happened.

And I was glad about it. I couldn't allow Harry to get closer to me. Boys like him never stayed around and I would just end up getting hurt.

As if to prove my point, he turned around for a moment when he reached the bridge, his eyes flew over me, but then he turned around and disappeared, leaving me distraught and confused behind.

Marie kept talking, but I barely heard her words. My mind was overloaded, too many things taking over.

Flashbacks of previous events shot through my brain, being shot at me like bullets.