05 - Well done, Styles!

"When the time comes to die, make sure that all you have to do is die!"

― Elisabeth Elliot, The Journals of Jim Elliot

______________________

Hannah's eyes were wide and shone with an anticipating light. Amazement was written all over her face.

The small hand in my own hand held on tight, as if she were afraid everything would disappear if she let go. "Will momma and daddy be waiting there?" Hannah asked, her small finger pointing at the bridge.

I shook my head. It wasn't like I could lie to her, right? "No, love, but that's where you belong now."

Hannah stopped walking, making me halt abruptly. She tugged at my hand, forcing me down to her level.

"I wanna go home," she whined, her lower lip trembling. Her eyes still shone but this time it was because of upcoming tears.

I took her face in my free hand, softly stroking her cheek with my thumb. "Please don't cry, pretty."

A small movement to my right caught my attention. George walked away, leaving it completely to me to convince Hannah to join us. We were literally in front of the bridge, why did she have to stop now?

One tear slipped from her eyes and ran down her cheek before I caught it and wiped it away. "If you promise me to be strong now, I'll get you an ice cream."

Instead of smiling or squealing with glee, Hannah closed her eyes and let another tear roll down.

"Hey, sweetheart, it's alright," I told her, taking her small frame in my arms.

I held her as close as possible without squeezing her to death. Eh, never mind.

Was it inappropriate to make jokes about death now?

My fingers traced her hair until I felt her slightly relax in my arms. She snorted, her skinny fingers trimming over her eyelids.

"I'm scared," Hannah confessed, hiding her face in the crook of my neck.

"There is no need to be afraid, I'll be here for you," I promised her, my breath fanning over the silky blonde hair framing her face.

"Momma told me to never trust pretty boys," Hannah mumbled against my neck.

I chuckled slightly. That was a smart move to keep her daughter away from little heartbreakers, but it might also influence her for life. It certainly didn't come in handy for me as I needed her trust in me now.

Hang on, did a 5-year-old girl just call me pretty?

"Some rules are made to be broken," I told her in all honesty. Not my smartest move.

"Momma will be mad at me," Hannah said, taking a step back. Her lower lip was still trembling and her eyes were reddened.

"She won't know." I totally should change my tactic. This wasn't going anywhere good. "I mean, she won't be mad."

Hannah still didn't seem convinced.

"Don't you think she would like you to be safe? To be happy? To be carefree? To be just you?" I asked, my eyes fixed on the small girl in front of me. She nervously played with a strand of her hair and nodded, confirming my questions.

"If you cross that bridge with me now, you will be safe, you will be free and you will be happy. There will be people waiting for you and other kids your age. It's a better place and-" I explained but Hannah interrupted me.

"Will Lana be there?" Her eyes lightened up slightly.

"Lana?"

"My friend. She went to a better place last year," Hannah said. I could see the hope in her eyes. Her innocence nearly broke my heart and for a moment I thought I would break down crying right then and there.