22 - Save You Tonight

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

― Martin Luther King Jr., A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches

______________________

Harry's POV

I ran across the street and down the main path to the endless field of flowers, where I knew I would find the shimmering bridge.

Far too excited to slow down, I didn't take any notice of the people around me.

Some turned their heads to watch me run away, but I probably didn't look too stressed hence they didn't stop me and asked if I was okay.

I wouldn't even have an answer to that. Was I okay?

Well, I physically was. Mentally, not so much. It just didn't make any sense.

Elaine wouldn't just run away. But what else could have happened? She had to have run away.

The thoughts about her mysterious departure swirled in my head like a hurricane, making my feet momentarily slow down.

In front of the breath-taking field, I came to a complete stop.

The hurricane inside my head reeled until it had destroyed every worry about – to put it in the boys' words – my 'beautiful sidekick.'

"I'm so dumb," I mumbled and let out a string of curses.

Elaine had just run away, eager to escape me and my expanding feelings for her although she complicated my afterlife to no end.

It was now or never. Basically, it could all come to an end now.

I had the possibility to stop everything once and for all with the snap of my fingertips. All I had to do was tell the Council that Elaine had violated her obligations.

Surely I wouldn't get in trouble, right? Being the innocent one here, I had done what I was supposed to do.

But then again, I was supposed to teach Elaine the ways of being a Soul Catcher. It was my job to look out for her and take care of her.

Had I violated my duty after all?

Too many questions swirled around in my head, but no answers could be given.

Just thinking about the what ifs hurt.

What if Elaine hated me so much that she couldn't stand being in my presence? What if she had just ran away for a few days and then came back to talk about it? But what if she was hurt?

I was going crazy, and again Elaine was at fault.

After standing on the edge of the field for a few minutes and staring at the bridge without really taking it in, I just turned around and walked away.

I kept cursing under my breath, gathering the glances of a few people passing by, but I couldn't care less.

"Mate, weren't you supposed to save your girl?"

The voice came out of nowhere, stopping me dead in my tracks. I looked up to meet Nate's eyes.

My mouth opened, but no words came out. I shrugged and looked down at the ground, his question long forgotten.

"Well, if you need me, you know where to find me." Nate slapped me on the shoulder and walked away, his silhouette disappearing on the horizon.

"Fuck," I bellowed, kicking a rock that was lying in my path.